What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

mickysf replied on 18/07/2019 20:48

Posted on 17/07/2019 20:20 by Wherenext

I didn't see House Martins when we were there Micky but there were lots of Sand Martins nesting in the area. 

Posted on 18/07/2019 20:48

Yes, saw a few sandmartins too but not any burrows in which they nest. The Housemartins I saw had built those typical mud nests, the likes of which you would normally & traditionally see under the eaves of houses. However, these nests were 'glued high on the sea cliffs. I just wondered if this was a new phenomena given the fact that less houses these days are Housemartin friendly. When I was a child many houses and farm buildings in our village had these structures occupied by these wonderful birds.

Bluemalaga replied on 22/07/2019 20:15

Posted on 22/07/2019 20:15

Returned yesterday from a trip to mid Wales, enjoyed the Carnival at Rhayder on Saturday, but very disturbed to see the reckless driving of some caravaners at the junction in the centre of town. HGV drivers managed to make some very tricky manoeuvres without mounting the pavement, while caravans were towed through at speed and several mounted the pavement with one woman being bounced across the pavement into a wall. The driver either didn't look or just drove on.

After the distraction we made our way up to the Red Kite feeding station and were delighted to see the absolutely gorgeous Leuceric Kite, white Kite in the pics. What a delight.

Oneputt replied on 22/07/2019 21:08

Posted on 22/07/2019 21:08

I saw it last year BM, but it landed and just sat on the ground so no flight shots.  More great pics.

Bluemalaga replied on 23/07/2019 10:00

Posted on 23/07/2019 10:00

Thanks OP

I was rather lucky in two ways, firstly, I was walking just behind the woman that was bumped by the caravan, so another metre and I would have been hit.

The Kite had been on the ground for a about one minute earlier, but I had not seen it until the OH pointed it out in the air. There was so many flying around that it was nearly impossible to track. However as the feeding frenzy calmed, it became easier to see. I believe there were fear when it was first sighted as a juvenile that it would be mobbed by the other Kites because if it's colour, but it seems to be tolerated.

nelliethehooker replied on 08/08/2019 21:37

Posted on 08/08/2019 18:34 by brue

One free packet of Sunflower seeds and "zoom!" they're heading skywards! smilesmile

Posted on 08/08/2019 21:37

When we were at The Old Orchard CL last year we picked some of the Sunflower seeds from the flowers along the edge of the CL which we planted this Spring. When we left home for this latest trip they had grown to nearly 4ft in height. I just wonder what they'll look like when we get back in a fortnight's time?

ABM replied on 09/08/2019 12:11

Posted on 09/08/2019 12:11

At times, Nell, I wonder if the sap from sunflowers could be added  to rocket fuel, the speed they grow at surprised

brue replied on 09/08/2019 14:07

Posted on 09/08/2019 14:07

If mine stand up to the high winds today I'll leave them there for the winter, take a few seeds out for next year and let the birds have the rest. smile

nelliethehooker replied on 09/08/2019 20:44

Posted on 09/08/2019 14:07 by brue

If mine stand up to the high winds today I'll leave them there for the winter, take a few seeds out for next year and let the birds have the rest. smile

Posted on 09/08/2019 20:44

That's what we will do too. The lad who does our next door neighbour's garden has already asked for a few for his own garden!!

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook