What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Oneputt replied on 24/08/2019 17:59

Posted on 24/08/2019 17:59

On our walk today I managed to get a snap of a black squirrel which was unfortunately sitting in front of a big white flower.  Can still see it’s a squirrel though.

Came across a new alpine barn which close to 40 man made nest under the eaves.  The nest showed signs of use but as we didn’t spot any house martins we guessed they had all migrated

brue replied on 25/08/2019 13:37

Posted on 25/08/2019 13:37

By expanding the photo I can see the squirrel quite clearly, nice to see one! smile

Bakers2 replied on 25/08/2019 20:36

Posted on 25/08/2019 20:36

Oneputt it's nice and clear if I expand it. Thanks for sharing.

I discovered tonight hat squirrels make a noise! I heard an 'odd' sounding magpie towards the bottom of our garden and went to investigate. Nextdoor's cat was by our pond watching a grey squirrel, it was this that was making the 'odd' magpie noise. I wasn't convinced but as it moved along the fence and up and down the trees it continued from its location.

Everyday's a school day!

Oneputt replied on 25/08/2019 20:41

Posted on 25/08/2019 20:41

This evening in roughly the same place I saw the Black Squirrel I got a snap of a red squirrel, got another day to see if we can get them together 🐿

Bakers2 replied on 29/08/2019 09:52

Posted on 29/08/2019 09:52

Just brought a cuppa out to drink in the garden. Heard the sparrows in their conifer tower begin to make a noise. Looked up to see yellow legs alight on a Rowan tree branch that mixes itself into the conifer. Stood up to check and the sparrowhawk silently flew away. Sparrows quietened down. 

Sparrowhawk is beautiful but I've worked hard to get my sparrow numbers up in the garden this year and I'm glad I stopped a loss this morning.

Our sparrows are rarely seen individually generally in groups of 9 plus. Not seen so many in our garden for years.

RedKite replied on 29/08/2019 11:32

Posted on 29/08/2019 11:32

We have a group of sparrows here and the sparrowhawk does fly around but not to often usual gets a bird feeding on the bird food as we are very open here it usually makes a quick getaway.

Saw about 30 cattle egrets and 1 little egret this morning whilst going on a shopping trip, only ever see the cattle egrets in one field but today there were some about 4 miles away from the other ones again cattle in the field so nice to see so many.

Oneputt replied on 29/08/2019 11:44

Posted on 29/08/2019 11:44

RK only ever see 1 cattle egret on the back of a cow and it was too far to get a photo, so that’s on my bucket list.

I know both you and WN have answered this question before but which sites do you use in the Brenne.  We will be there in 9/10 days.  Tried using the search facility but that is hopeless.  Thanks

RedKite replied on 29/08/2019 13:29

Posted on 29/08/2019 13:29

Hi OP yes it was great to see the egrets and the 1 group are usually there all year round even when we have been that way in the winter.

As to camping sites the one I think WN went is the Municipal site called Les Millotts Nr Rosnay  only website is the park one which is in the park and the one we stay at is outside the park about 25 minutes away at Obterre called Le Cormier website www.loireholidays.biz Mike and Cath Smith are the owners, I just googled campsites in La Brenne you may find a few more hope this helps, enjoy your trip, we maybe staying at Le Cormier end of October but just received an email today that they may be having major ground works around that time but they will let us know so we may have to find somewhere else or change our plans accordingly.  Let us know if you see anything interesting.

Got back home to find resident lizard out the front of the house has lost its tail since yesterday so now called stumpy and we have a baby lizard outside an outbuilding about 2 inches long and moves very fast when it sees us.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook