What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

RedKite replied on 12/05/2021 15:42

Posted on 12/05/2021 15:42

Had a Hoopoe outside the kitchen window busy looking for insects in the ground then it went around the house so I followed inside to different windows had a good dig in one part of the plot, did not know that their favourite food is Mole Crickets not seen any here but will look out for them very strange looking crickets mainly live underground.

Our dawn chorus is good at the moment Nightingales, blackcaps, finches, blackbirds other warblers, redstarts both black and common, at least two cuckoos.

Wherenext replied on 12/05/2021 20:14

Posted on 12/05/2021 20:14

Well, I missed my dawn chorus but did provide one of my own by way of sonorous snoring.

Had a good days walking with bits of birdwatching en route, both during the day and about an hour ago. Our first Robin chick, with dad, and some Sandwich Terns just off Rhosneigor beach plus a Garden Warbler back at the caravan.

Lots of new Mayfly out and about. Very late this year.

RedKite replied on 13/05/2021 18:12

Posted on 13/05/2021 18:12

Had a picnic today on a country park with a lot of large ponds  so plenty of birdlife singing away nightingales, blackcaps, golden orioles,willowwarblers, even a large flock of greylag geese and they seemed to be there all the time unusual to see so many about 50 most sat down and other preening but no young ones, blackbirds swallow and swifts flying around could have stayed a lot longer but needed to get back home.

Wherenext replied on 13/05/2021 18:39

Posted on 13/05/2021 18:39

Very nice RK.

We had quite a few birds today as we visited a lovely reserve on Angelsey. Sedge and Reed Warblers (first of the year for Reedies), Wheatear, Bullfinches, Bittern flying over the reeds and also booming away, Cettis and Grasshopper Warblers. There was also a pair of Mute Swans with 8 of the cutest little cygnets all staying very close to parents. Plus some Bog Bean.

Later on we walked beside a bubbling stream so Grey Wagtails and Dippers. The banks were full of Bluebells still.

RedKite replied on 13/05/2021 20:40

Posted on 13/05/2021 20:40

Thanks WN.  Looks like you had a good day.

There was Herons and Cattle Egrets flying over, there is a village not far from us and has a lovely clear stream flowing through it so a lot of Dragonflies about later also next to a house with a larger area of the stream there is two swans but not seen any young with them and they are there all year.

Wherenext replied on 14/05/2021 19:01

Posted on 14/05/2021 19:01

Went to South Stacks on Holyhead to view the seabird colony this afternoon.

Beautiful afternoon so it was an enjoyable interlude watching the Guillemots, Razorbills, Puffins, Kittiwakes, Fulmars and Chough. Some of the smaller birds were interesting as well. Wheatear, Rock Pipit and a Black Redstart. Still waiting for Mrs WN to identify some of the plant life but she has a book in hand and a drink at the ready so it may be a while yet.😁

Wherenext replied on 16/05/2021 18:54

Posted on 16/05/2021 18:54

Saw our first Hobby of the year today. Not many dragonflies out though so the Martins and Swallows better watch out. 2 Bitterns booming, and chicks out for Lapwing and Stonechat plus Swans and Geese.

RedKite replied on 17/05/2021 16:05

Posted on 17/05/2021 16:05

Had the Hoopoe again outside the kitchen window and this morning had 3 European Serin inside my ground feeder cage sharing with the Greenfinches the 1 male Serin had a incredible bright yellow around his head not had them here before so a tick for me.

Wherenext replied on 17/05/2021 18:43

Posted on 17/05/2021 18:43

Very cheery little birds are Serins RK. Always chattering away. They remind me of wind chimes sometimes.

Not expecting to see a great deal, nature wise today, on our walk but came across several small flocks of Eider near the water edge just off Beaumaris on Angelsey, also saw a few Sand Martins flying into their nests in the sandy bits of the cliffs. Masses of Wild Garlic in flower which was just as well as we passed the "Water Treatment Works" en route and we even saw some Herb Robert.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook