Extinction

Wherenext replied on 22/03/2018 14:19

Posted on 22/03/2018 14:19

I see the great human race has virtually managed to wipe out yet another species, this time due to some idiotic idea that the horn of the white rhino works as a medicine and a wealth status, and is also valued at being worth more than gold per kilo.

No wonder I often prefer animals to humans.yellyellyell

So sad.

moulesy replied on 22/03/2018 15:09

Posted on 22/03/2018 15:09

Absolutely agree with that, W.

Although, ironically, it may turn out that the human race is the saviour of the Southern Rhino species since I believe they harvested sperm from the male and eggs from the two surviving females and are to attempt to implant embryos in the related Northern White females. So all may not be lost quite yet.

(Might have got my South and North confused there.)

Traficlady replied on 22/03/2018 16:18

Posted on 22/03/2018 16:18

I thought that was quite sad when I saw it too. Beautiful animal. Wouldn’t you have thought they’d find a way to gather sperm before he died. Such a waste.

Nora

Oneputt replied on 22/03/2018 18:23

Posted on 22/03/2018 18:23

We haven’t a lot to be proud of, we Brits/Europeans decimated wildlife populations now it’s others.  Listened to 2 interviews about the white Rhino but have never heard anyone condem the Chinese where 90% plus ivory and body parts end up.  

ABM replied on 27/03/2018 16:07

Posted on 27/03/2018 16:07

It  does  not  help  a  lot  when  any  anti-poaching  police  or  wardens  are  heavily  out  gunned  as  well  as  out  numbered  when  the  poachers  or  whatever  do  turn  up.  It  cannot  really  be  effective  when  all  we  are  doing,  in  truth,  is   asking  the  'Pros'  to  volunteer  to  commit  suicide  !

Wherenext replied on 27/03/2018 18:31

Posted on 27/03/2018 18:31

The argument in the USA for hunting is that the hunters have to pay to hunt in Africa so it helps conservation. This isn't just a hunting organisation statement. It's the official position of the Orange One's committee who have reversed the official ban on importing mementoes from kills. The committee consists of members of hunting organisations. Irony as well as Ivory both dead.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook