Lack of songbirds

Flyingfox replied on 05/04/2020 13:16

Posted on 05/04/2020 13:16

We have tried to attract song birds to our garden to no avail. Firstly, a few years back we dug up a large area of concrete (nearly half the garden) and put it down to grass and borders. Recently we  placed several bird feeders around the garden to try and attract the birds to feed but all that we get is Magpies, Pigeons and the occasional Blackbird feeding on the lawn. Admittedly our garden is quite open with not many trees around us but whatever we put out in the way of seeds etc remain uneaten. Anyone out there who can point us in the right direction? 

Takethedogalong replied on 12/04/2020 12:26

Posted on 12/04/2020 12:26

I think it is definitely cover you are lacking, they need safety. Quick fix that might help is some large pot planters with shrubs. If you have fencing rather than any hedges, consider covering them in non invasive climbers, honeysuckle, clematis Etc..... If you really want to be bird friendly, consider planting a hedge. Quick fix garden programmes like bl**dy Groundforce are possibly as much to blame for lack of birds in some gardens as anything else!☹️

They need shelter and safety, a mix of feeds, regularly clean feeders.....and water! We have three small ponds and another four upside down dustbin lids scattered around our garden, all in constant use by birds. They will be constantly on the watch for predators from above (sparrowhawks, Etc.....) and from cats. 

Check out RSPB website, they will have some top tips for making garden more bird friendly. The other thing is don’t use ground feeders at the moment. Pigeons can’t hover, neither can Magpies. Blackbirds will have a go, but a hanging feed station will be best, even if it’s only from a pole.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on😁

nelliethehooker replied on 12/04/2020 20:41

Posted on 12/04/2020 20:41

Thanks for the advice. I have a feeding pole, with a water container, and a feeder hanging from a branch by the conifers. There is also a rather wild clematis which should also provide shelter. I think that my biggest problem is cats!!yell

Pliers replied on 12/04/2020 22:21

Posted on 12/04/2020 22:21

Cats 😱 I actually like cats, but do not want them in my garden.

I have a brilliant Super Soaker  water pistol  thing. Our local cats aren’t daft, they only have to see me armed with the gadget and they slope off pretty quickly, as only cats can!

I would have loved to have had one of these Super Soakers when I was a kid, but had to make do with a left over plastic lemon juice squeezie thing my mother bought for Pancake Tuesday! 
πŸ™‚πŸ™‚

Takethedogalong replied on 13/04/2020 10:28

Posted on 12/04/2020 20:41 by nelliethehooker

Thanks for the advice. I have a feeding pole, with a water container, and a feeder hanging from a branch by the conifers. There is also a rather wild clematis which should also provide shelter. I think that my biggest problem is cats!!yell

Posted on 13/04/2020 10:28

Gold /Fire Crests love conifers, keep an eye out for them. I think the birds do get used to regular places to feed as well, so in your case Nellie, as you are away quite a bit (πŸ˜‚)it could be that the feeders aren’t replenished as they empty. Our little feathered friends tend to let us know when stocks are low! We always leave fully filled feeders, and who ever is looking after house for us, restocks them.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook