Lammergeier (Bearded Vulture)

Oneputt replied on 12/07/2020 10:46

Posted on 12/07/2020 10:46

For the passed couple of days there has been a very rare visitor in Derbyshire.  Apparently it’s about a 4 mile hike to get to see it.

Wished I lived 75 miles closer

Directions:

immature still, flew north over Howden Edge (as viewed from Crook Clough at 53.431, -1.700); park at Strines Bridge then follow track north-west towards Cartledge Bents and cross Abbey Brook to view from Crook Clough (do not take track down to east side of streams to avoid flushing bird). Alternatively, park by Mortimer Road at 53.447,-1.632 and head west

brue replied on 14/07/2020 16:33

Posted on 13/07/2020 20:21 by ABM

And getting coverage on BBC News, so likely to be loads of Twitchers out there tomorrow !   Don't expect to find a clear parking spot  yell

Posted on 14/07/2020 16:33

There was a further update today, hope this bird survives all the attention and threats. Interesting to read about the previous siting on Dartmoor four years ago.

LINK

Takethedogalong replied on 14/07/2020 21:47

Posted on 14/07/2020 21:47

I don’t worry about all the folks going to see it. I would worry more about the shooting/keepers/landowners around there. The very fact that it’s so high profile might help keep it alive. Raptor persecution is rife up there. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook