Mole Traps

K9S4EVA replied on 28/09/2021 08:58

Posted on 28/09/2021 08:58

I was disgusted to find out that Caravan Club Policy is to trap and kill moles.

I saw a man setting mole traps along the external and internal perimeter hedge at the entrance to Old Hartley Club Site on Sunday 19 September 2021.

I enquired if he was setting mole traps and he said yes. I asked if that was ethical and humane. He said it was better than seeing mole hills. I said 'is it really?'. He said it was Caravan Club Policy.

As Members surely we have the right to decide whether we'd be happy seeing mole hills, or whether we'd prefer to trap and kill moles, sometimes not immediately killing them and leaving them to suffer.

I wonder why the Wardens can't just remove the erupted earth if it's deemed unsightly?

On top of this, what if a dog dug them up and got injured.  Many terriers and hounds would be very interested in digging where something like a trap has been buried.

Moles are not the enemy, they aerate soil and eat pests...see link below:

https://www.rspca.org.uk/documents/1494935/9042554/Living+with+-+moles+-+formatted+%28V1.2%29+-+2017.pdf/61a0a5f6-b28e-c46e-042d-5b8fecf54207?t=1553171460360&download=true

I would like to see Members being given the opportunity to vote on such cruel practices and whether they feel their Club should continue with them.

In my opinion, if people think natural occurrences like mole hills are unsightly they should question why they want to go caravanning - isn't it getting out into nature, not being in pristine, bowling green like sites?

I'd be interested to hear other people's views on the subject.

RowenaBCAMC replied on 15/11/2021 15:13

Posted on 15/11/2021 15:13

Thank you for sharing views and opinions in this discussion and to those who have kept the conversation constructive. As I am receiving several reports about this discussion I am now going to close it. If you do ever have any concerns please email the Club and a member of the team will reply. 

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook