National Trust Resolution Upcoming

Takethedogalong replied on 30/09/2021 14:05

Posted on 30/09/2021 14:05

I know that a lot of Members and Forum users are, like us Members of The National Trust. This October’s Trust AGM includes a Resolution to ban Trail Hunting on National Trust land, and as such I wanted to highlight this issue and bring it to the attention of any Trust Member who might not be aware.

Its not for me to urge anyone to make up their minds about which way to vote, if Members do choose to vote. There is a lot of information out on the internet on different websites in terms of what trail hunting is, how it is conducted, who controls it, and the myriad of issues surrounding it. Those of you who are Members will have received full details in the AGM literature included with your latest NT magazine, and how to vote either online, or by post. For information, and an easy option to make your vote count, below is the link to enable Members to vote securely. You will need to log in using your NT membership number.

https://secure.cesvotes.com/V3-1-0/nt21/en/login?bbp=30978&x=-1

I hope that like us, many will do the research, make an informed decision, and cast their vote accordingly. My post is merely to bring attention to this important issue, I have no intention of debating hunting on here, as I know it can get very emotive, and the last thing I want is this information to go missing. Others may want to discuss it, but please in that case, open a new thread😁

Takethedogalong replied on 01/11/2021 15:33

Posted on 01/11/2021 11:48 by

You have a more sympathetic view of the hunting fraternity  than me . TTDA. Many years ago we attended   civil war enactment at a local  farm.I was appalled to learn  afterwards that I had paid to see something in aid of the hunt supporters . Although hunting has  been low on my list of things to ban it has and is a class thing  Working class  blood sports were  rightly    banned   Victorian times does any body seriously think  hunting would have survived but for the people who I indulge in it. 

Posted on 01/11/2021 15:33

The true “hunters” those employed by the Hunts are a tiny minority who do it for a living. The vast majority of folks who go to hunt are mainly there for the social side, the gallop, the doing something exciting, the getting together. (Many don’t stick around for the kill.) They usually have a very good events calendar, a big social side, and possibly do some charity work as well. It’s not cheap to go hunting, either owning your own horse or hiring one just for the thrill and to say you have been hunting. But a good few of “not rich” folks will go out with some of the smaller hunts, and we often got invited. All you need really is a decent horse, the right clothes and the ability to stay on board as best you can. And you need to know the rules, handed down from much earlier times.  There are a few Hunts that might be thought of as special in one way or another, perhaps because they have historic aristocratic links, and the odd Royal will go out every now and then. But a lot are Farmers Packs and quite small. So folks do come from all walks of life and all backgrounds. Some who follow don’t actually ride, but will get around in their cars or on quads, still out for the social side. Absolutely not much of a problem. It’s the unnecessary suffering of chasing a live animal until it is exhausted, or the unfair digging out of something that has escaped fairly that I abhor. Drag Hunts don’t do it, so it’s perfectly possible to do away with this aspect.🤷‍♀️

Sadly, it’s not class that drives the need to see something killed, it’s merely cruel individuals from all walks of life. Badger baiting is rife around us at times. Hare coursing not too far away. Both banned, but both still happening.

Incidentally, and very sadly, there was a two year old little girl who died last month during a Hunt. Bedale, near Northallerton. Something spooked her pony, and she fell off. Even the mildest, well behaved horse or pony will get a bit excited if there are lots of other horses around. Our horse was practically uncontrollable if out with a big group, a real handful. His previous owner sold him because he was so badly behaved out hunting. We thankfully got him calmed down, but he had his moments, both OH and I were dumped a long way from home occasionally.

Well behaved, but still having fun doing Working Hunter Classes at local show. Look closely, the rosette is a red one😁

replied on 02/11/2021 07:57

Posted on 02/11/2021 07:57

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Fisherman replied on 02/11/2021 08:26

Posted on 02/11/2021 08:26

Typically rushed and politically motivated legislation. Easy to pass, impossible to enforce.

DEBSC replied on 02/11/2021 09:28

Posted on 02/11/2021 08:26 by Fisherman

Typically rushed and politically motivated legislation. Easy to pass, impossible to enforce.

Posted on 02/11/2021 09:28

Now here is a hunting post I can agree on with you Fish.

moulesy replied on 02/11/2021 11:33

Posted on 02/11/2021 08:26 by Fisherman

Posted on 02/11/2021 11:33

"Easy to pass" ... yes, because it had widespread support from all sides of the house, including many who didn't have a good word to say about any other laws passed by the Blair government.

"Impossible to enforce" .... probably true but don't we rely on honest citizens following the rule of law for themselves, or is it truly a case of "get away with it if you think you can"?  frown

RowenaBCAMC replied on 02/11/2021 11:44

Posted on 02/11/2021 11:44

Hi everyone, this is clearly an emotive subject. As the voting has passed I will now close this topic. Thank you to all who contributed constructively. 

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook