Rewilding

mickysf replied on 23/10/2019 16:11

Posted on 23/10/2019 16:11

Just been reading the latest RSPB magazine and in particular the article about Rewilding. Having read this it seems to me that the notions of Experiencing Freedom and Rewilding make good bed fellows for the future, particularly when considering the economic case as described in the article. I just wonder what other CTers think about the subject. Of interest to me was the £13 million pound injected into the economy of the German Hartz region with the increased tourism generated after the reintroduction of Lynx into the area. 54% of all visitors said that the Lynx were a significant factor in their choice of this area to visit.

Maybe, similar projects could impact equally in areas here in Great Britain. Any thoughts?

eurortraveller replied on 27/01/2022 09:16

Posted on 27/01/2022 09:16

I live in the countryside - the real world of mud and muck spreading. And a fox slaughtering chickens unless Steven gets a shot at him. But then I hear of townspeople who have a dreamy image of walking through fields of wildflowers with bird song overhead as they stroll to the river bank to see how the beavers are getting on. Dreamland. 

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 27/01/2022 09:48

Posted on 27/01/2022 09:16 by eurortraveller

I live in the countryside - the real world of mud and muck spreading. And a fox slaughtering chickens unless Steven gets a shot at him. But then I hear of townspeople who have a dreamy image of walking through fields of wildflowers with bird song overhead as they stroll to the river bank to see how the beavers are getting on. Dreamland. 

Posted on 27/01/2022 09:48

Fox slaughtering chickens is down to lazy & greedy owners of the chickens who don’t make enclosures Fox proof but skimp by throwing some branches & old wire they’ve found together. The Fox is keeping alive-naturally. I’ve had chickens for decades & not lost one to predation, it’s all in the attitude & thinking it out. Excuses don’t cut it at all & blaming the animal that is acting naturally is laughable-out thinking a Fox is not hard-that’s how we are the dominant species👍🏻

mickysf replied on 27/01/2022 10:26

Posted on 27/01/2022 09:16 by eurortraveller

Posted on 27/01/2022 10:26

What about the country folk and farmers who not only dream but act to encourage wildlife. There are many out there and the number is thankfully growing. Control may be the very last resort and not brilliant but linking this with sport and pleasure is wrong in many folks. A family farmer friend once saved an exhausted fox from the local hunt and he has chickens on his farm which he protects as best he can without shooting. He released the fox back into his farm land once the redcoats and beagles were long gone.

SeasideBill replied on 27/01/2022 10:47

Posted on 27/01/2022 10:47

Seems to me the whole show is a festival of the pointless and stupid. Shooters because, what’s the point? Theres no skill involved. Pheasants, because they’re the most stupid birds on the planet. Every year near here there are guys dressed like Rambo in the fields shooting anything that moves while pheasants just opt out and throw themselves under the wheels if any passing vehicle.

JVB66 replied on 27/01/2022 11:03

Posted on 27/01/2022 11:03

We have some friends who live on the perimitor of a big estate in the Cotswolds where they have many shoots?each year

Pheasant and Partridge neither of which are mature enough to fly out of the way of the  guns of the poorly trained? Idiots holding the shotgun  

As our friends say the problem is the Estate give locals work

mickysf replied on 27/01/2022 11:07

Posted on 27/01/2022 10:47 by SeasideBill

Seems to me the whole show is a festival of the pointless and stupid. Shooters because, what’s the point? Theres no skill involved. Pheasants, because they’re the most stupid birds on the planet. Every year near here there are guys dressed like Rambo in the fields shooting anything that moves while pheasants just opt out and throw themselves under the wheels if any passing vehicle.

Posted on 27/01/2022 11:07

Yes, SB. Don’t think that as far as intelligence is concerned pheasants are in the same league as the corvids or psittacines but what we can say for a fact is that these introduced birds are not truly wild. More often than not they are placed in environments which are made best for the shooters and estate owners and certainly not best for the birds. When I say birds I will including other species which may naturally ‘get in the way’. 

Rewilding can produce income into local areas as the OP indicates. Worth exploring?

Fisherman replied on 28/02/2022 10:10

Posted on 28/02/2022 10:10

Justb remember these estates are financed by City toffs not local farmers. Likewise the "shooters" Come from the cities in Chelsea Tractors to  " network" and have no concept of the countrysi de, or its inhabitants. Its the same ones who advocate this so called "rewilding". Ordinary country folk just get on with enhacing the countryside and provide some control so we get a healthy,diverse natural population.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 28/02/2022 10:40

Posted on 28/02/2022 10:10 by Fisherman

Justb remember these estates are financed by City toffs not local farmers. Likewise the "shooters" Come from the cities in Chelsea Tractors to  " network" and have no concept of the countrysi de, or its inhabitants. Its the same ones who advocate this so called "rewilding". Ordinary country folk just get on with enhacing the countryside and provide some control so we get a healthy,diverse natural population.

Posted on 28/02/2022 10:40

The Badgers & Deer would support you on that eh?. . .Nope, me neither🙄. Being an apologist does you no favours fish just accept the fact some like killing to fill their pockets some just for fun. We are way past the eating for survival era☹️

Fisherman replied on 28/02/2022 12:20

Posted on 28/02/2022 12:20

Dont follow your logic,but guess its another " in denial" post.The killers in this  instance are the wealthy and city types. Cant think any country person would spend  25 pounds per bird to shoot tame pheasants and then bury the carcases.We have much  more respect for nature than that.

Woods with bluebells

Spring getaways

Clachan Club Campsite. Photo by member Eric Ness
Find your perfect pitch this spring with our Late Availability checker - there's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites!
Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook