The Ospreys are back !!

ABM replied on 01/04/2015 16:52

Posted on 01/04/2015 16:52

April  starts  the  season  of  'Osprey  hunting'    for  me .

So  off  to  RSPB  Loch  Garten,  on-line  of  course,  and  the  sites  up, just  about,  but  no  Ospreys  as  yet.

So  over  to  Scottish  Wildlife Trusts  "Loch  of  The  Lowes"  Website  and,  and    Surprised  not  one  but  two  Ospreys  &  mating  in  full  view  of  the  cameras  !  Its  not  the  aged  "Lady"  but  a  new  female  now  in  residence,  so  we'll  have  to  see  if  the  old  girl  turns  up  at  all.  Well  she  is  believed  to  be  in  the  high  twenties  now,  darn  near  Geriatric  as  far  as  Ospreys  go !  I  understand  Rutland  has  a  number  of  arrivals   so  I  must  keep  watching  Loch  Garten  for  more  tales  of  Bad Bird  Behaviour  !!

ABM replied on 19/06/2019 12:03

Posted on 19/06/2019 12:03

Whoopee  --  two strange characters seen on the osprey nest at Loch Garten -- 

Oh Botheration   !!  It was just a pair of fiddling humans frown.

Sadly it seems that the RSPB et al  have surrendered and accepted 2019 as an osprey free year at Loch Garten & have tidied up the nest to try to entice young O's to the nest. The Cameras are removed, the grass growing there has been removed and the 'cup' has been lined with, I think, peat based padding to avoid young, nervy birds from being scared off.  Also the local area has a few trees growing which were not there when the first O's arrived. Apparently Scottish Natural Heritage may be approached to see if permission can be obtained to remove some of them, so there is less chance for predators such as goshawks and pine martens etc to hide in the immediate area.

redface replied on 19/06/2019 19:42

Posted on 19/06/2019 19:42

Why on earth do we humans interfere with nature?

I was there 60 yrs. ago (approx.) when the birds were first introduced and successfully nested, rearing young. 

Why do some busybodies in the RSPB seem to think that the birds want us to do their housework and cleaning etc.?

Leave it alone and it will either continue successfully, ad infinitum or become a failed site due inappropriate location or human interference.

For goodness sake leave things alone.

nelliethehooker replied on 19/06/2019 20:44

Posted on 19/06/2019 19:42 by redface

Why on earth do we humans interfere with nature?

I was there 60 yrs. ago (approx.) when the birds were first introduced and successfully nested, rearing young. 

Why do some busybodies in the RSPB seem to think that the birds want us to do their housework and cleaning etc.?

Leave it alone and it will either continue successfully, ad infinitum or become a failed site due inappropriate location or human interference.

For goodness sake leave things alone.

Posted on 19/06/2019 20:44

Surely the very act of re-introduction of them, by humans I may add, was "interfering with nature", as you said!!  How hypocritical can you get!!

That interference has resulted in approximately 60 yrs of habitation at site by the Ospreys, so what is wrong with the present day RSPB helping the continuation of occupancy of the nesting site?

ABM replied on 20/06/2019 17:24

Posted on 20/06/2019 17:24

Just to help calm this down a little --

In the few days since the "nestwork" took place Ospreys have been seen on the nest, even bringing in a 'twig' or three. Without the camera functioning it has proved impossible to see if they are ringed or un-ringed BUT on site staff are reasonably sure that what they are seeing looks promising for occupation / nest claiming which may auger well for the future !!

Wherenext replied on 24/03/2020 14:30

Posted on 24/03/2020 14:30

You'll be pleased to note Brian that the first Osprey is back on his nest in Scotland. SWT have confirmed LM12's arrival at Loch of Lowes near Dunkeld.

Nellie also said there was one at Rutland when he was there a week or so ago.

ABM replied on 24/03/2020 15:50

Posted on 24/03/2020 15:50

OH THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU,  WN.

Sorry for shouting but you've just made an old man very happy  smile.

Loch Garten site is, at present, undergoing refurbishment so the cameras are still down. Guess I will have to get my osprey pleasure from the posts you lot put on here.  For which I thank you all

Oneputt replied on 31/03/2020 21:33

Posted on 31/03/2020 21:33

Plenty of Osprey overhead and stopping to fish here.  I’ve seen 2 but I believe there are 8 around the area

nelliethehooker replied on 31/03/2020 21:59

Posted on 31/03/2020 21:59

Sorry, a bit late with this but when we were down in Rutland two weeks ago there was a pair (well 2 any way) one on the nest  and a second one on of the branches close by. We were much too far away to be able to see the leg rings.

Wherenext replied on 01/04/2020 15:28

Posted on 01/04/2020 15:28

A female did briefly visit the nest in Loch of Lowes a few days ago but not seen any news since. Early days yet.

ABM replied on 01/04/2020 15:41

Posted on 01/04/2020 15:41

BBC Cumbria T.V. news has a report of Ospreys and eggs at the Foulshaw Moss nest this week  !!

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook