The Ospreys are back !!

ABM replied on 01/04/2015 16:52

Posted on 01/04/2015 16:52

April  starts  the  season  of  'Osprey  hunting'    for  me .

So  off  to  RSPB  Loch  Garten,  on-line  of  course,  and  the  sites  up, just  about,  but  no  Ospreys  as  yet.

So  over  to  Scottish  Wildlife Trusts  "Loch  of  The  Lowes"  Website  and,  and    Surprised  not  one  but  two  Ospreys  &  mating  in  full  view  of  the  cameras  !  Its  not  the  aged  "Lady"  but  a  new  female  now  in  residence,  so  we'll  have  to  see  if  the  old  girl  turns  up  at  all.  Well  she  is  believed  to  be  in  the  high  twenties  now,  darn  near  Geriatric  as  far  as  Ospreys  go !  I  understand  Rutland  has  a  number  of  arrivals   so  I  must  keep  watching  Loch  Garten  for  more  tales  of  Bad Bird  Behaviour  !!

nelliethehooker replied on 03/09/2020 22:04

Posted on 03/09/2020 22:04

Brian, don't know if you've been on the Kielder Ospreys web site but there are have been regular reports of the migration one of their 2017 chicks  7L/Aln which has a Sat Tag. She hasn't mated this year but is now back in Africa, having followed very closely the route she took last year. It makes fascinating reading.

ABM replied on 04/09/2020 11:19

Posted on 04/09/2020 11:19

Yes, Nellie, I had to smile at the comment --> her longest roost was on a telegraph pole !!  Been there, done that myself but only in my very early days of course winkcool

There is something to be said for this modern electrickery stuff !!

nelliethehooker replied on 04/09/2020 20:47

Posted on 04/09/2020 20:47

She's certainly doing well, and following nearly the same route she took last year too. Wonderful how clever there's birds are, and the stamina they must have to cover the distances that they do in a single day. 

Great photos from yesterday and today of a pair from this year's brood, one in Spain and the other now in Portugal.

nelliethehooker replied on 11/09/2020 21:49

Posted on 11/09/2020 21:49

Looks like 7L/Aln has reached her wintering site. Hope that the equipment that she's carrying will work again next year for her migration back to the UK.

I see that there has been a White Tailed Eagle chick reared for the second year in a row by a pair in Fife.

ABM replied on 19/10/2020 21:41

Posted on 19/10/2020 21:41

That's ruined my day, Nellie, I had intended sitting and sulking, but you have made me perk up no end  smilelaughingwink !!

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook