What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

cyberyacht replied on 19/05/2021 18:11

Posted on 19/05/2021 18:11

A walk along the Staffordshire & Worcester canal produced numerous Orange Tips, a grey wagtail, quite a few buzzards, robin, and an iridescent blue arrow streaking along the canal. AS always too quick to photograph. Our local one back home always eludes me although numerous pictures of her find their way on to our local Facebook group.

SteveL replied on 22/05/2021 06:46

Posted on 10/05/2021 15:50 by SteveL

A pair of Oyster Catchers have taken over a pitch here at Culloden. A chain fence has been put round the pitch and cones put on those to either side and opposite to prevent use. The site isn’t that full at the moment as the toilets are out of action and there have been quite a few cancellations, so it’s not a significant problem. Everyone has been asked to keep well away. They don’t mind cars and vans passing but when a couple went past on cycles the bird left the nest and ran off presumably as a distraction, before walking slowly back. The one not on the nest seems to spend  a lot of time in the field alongside the site but perhaps flys off to the nearby Moray firth. The close up isn’t that sharp, as it was difficult holding my phone with the telephoto attachment steady.

Posted on 22/05/2021 06:46

Good news on the Oyster Catchers at Culloden. We stopped off for a night on our way south. Two eggs hatched and the chicks and parents moved home into the adjacent field. Not that they really need the pitches, not even for half term, as the toilet block is still out of order.

Wherenext replied on 22/05/2021 21:02

Posted on 17/05/2021 21:47 by nelliethehooker

Not a usual sighting, but we saw Wally the Walrus sunning himself on the slipway of the Life Boat Station at Tenby this morning.

Posted on 22/05/2021 21:02

You caught him just in time Nellie as I think he's upped sticks and moved to Padstow.

nelliethehooker replied on 22/05/2021 21:57

Posted on 22/05/2021 21:02 by Wherenext

You caught him just in time Nellie as I think he's upped sticks and moved to Padstow.

Posted on 22/05/2021 21:57

Guess it must be him, as I can't see there being more than one around our coasts.

Quite different reasons why he's moved from Tenby. Daily Mail says it was because tourist got too close surprised while The Times attributes his move to the Life Boat being launched down the slipway that he was using as his home.

brue replied on 24/05/2021 14:36

Posted on 24/05/2021 14:36

Seal watching on the NE coast, lots of them, enjoying the sun. Also a huge flock of starlings with youngsters, on the grass having a grub fest. Some of the babies were sleeping on the ground and path ways. Quite a sight. You might need to zoom in for the seals. smile

Wherenext replied on 27/05/2021 19:03

Posted on 27/05/2021 19:03

Walking on the Stafforshire Moors and edges today. Saw, from on high, a Buzzard hovering and then dropping like a stone onto an unsuspecting Rabbit below. At least it was quick.

Also heard our first Cuckoo of the year and heard some Grouse (should they be Grice if more than one?laughing)

Also had a Hobby flash by us after coming over a brow of the hill. Nice listening to the Skylarks. 

nelliethehooker replied on 27/05/2021 21:37

Posted on 27/05/2021 21:37

Good day for me. Saw Heron in flight, and a Willow Warbler singing away while on my first walk out with Flyte. We then went to Gilfach Nature Reserve and heard a Cuckoo as soon as we got out of the car. Lots of Warblers singing as we walked along by the river and then saw a pair of Pied Flycatchers, with the female taking moss into a best box. The, now usual, Red Kites and Buzzards were about, and on our second walk we saw a second pair of Pied Flycatchers and a handsome Dipper, Stonechats, a Raven, and a Song Thrush serenaded us along the way back to the car. Cuckoos calling again both by the river and back at the site.

RedKite replied on 30/05/2021 16:05

Posted on 30/05/2021 16:05

Had a pair of Cirl buntings on our plot this morning also a lot of birds nesting about the garden 1 pair of goldfinches in a forsythia bush next to OH's shed and it is their 2nd brood, 1 pair of common redstart's nesting under a cover also part of OH's shed and another pair nesting somewhere around out roof area even seen the male going down our chimney but as it finishes in the roof void they could be nesting in there as we do not have a wood burner here, cuckoos still calling and the nightingales.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook