What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

brue replied on 12/05/2022 16:14

Posted on 12/05/2022 16:14

After a slow start we've spotted many Swallows and Housemartins coming in to join the early arrivals, a lot of silage cutting etc and the air has a plentiful supply of insects for them. We usually see a Swift or two but none so far. The birdsong has been lovely this year but we've had no takers for any of our nest boxes, maybe a neighbour has gone to town and provided more "up market" accommodation....? wink

Pliers replied on 12/05/2022 18:41

Posted on 12/05/2022 18:41

Had a drive on to Hodbarrow RSPB reserve today, never been there before. 
Great views of the tern colony, mainly sandwich, but also a good number of little terns about, too. 
Lots of eiders on the water, and on their nesting sites. 
Plus all the usual small hedgerow birds. 
On the way back to the campsite, we stopped off at the osprey nesting spot mentioned by the warden at Foulshaw Moss yesterday. Easily found following his directions (I’ll post them on here, if anyone wants them), and more good views. There’s a web camera on that nest, too, must be a good website somewhere for osprey viewers. 
🙂🙂🙂

RedKite replied on 12/05/2022 18:54

Posted on 12/05/2022 18:54

On return journey back home and on a site below Angers which stayed on the way up to ferry, this morning and early evening we have had two Turtle doves calling from a nearby tree lovely to hear even managed to see one this evening and the Nightingales are still singing also had the local tawny owl calling early this morning in a tree quite close to the van and dawn chorus was good this morning except the local Cockerel kept joining in and the local birds saying what is that every morning ha ha.

Wherenext replied on 12/05/2022 19:19

Posted on 12/05/2022 19:19

but we've had no takers for any of our nest boxes, maybe a neighbour has gone to town and provided more "up market" accommodation

Don't know about up market Brue. We rode under a motorway bridge today on our bikes. There must have been at least 50 House Martin nests already under construction. Good food source nearby mind you with water right below bridge as well so I suppose it ticked a lot of (nest) boxes.

mickysf replied on 12/05/2022 19:29

Posted on 12/05/2022 16:01 by Wherenext

Had a bike ride today so bird watching took a back seat. Nevertheless when we stopped for lunch in a "park type" reserve we saw White Storks, Nightingales and heard but couldn't find any of the 3 Golden Orioles we heard. Also saw a Middle Spotted W'pecker in flight.

They also had 2 Bewick Swans which seemed quite happy. I suppose they were either too old or ill to fly home.

Posted on 12/05/2022 19:29

Once went looking for Golden Orioles in UK where some had been reported, fruitless unfortunately but their song is really delightful. Reminds me of the jungle where I did see some of their close relatives.

Saw some beautiful cranes though, not so melodic but a haunting call nevertheless!! Might see some success this year with our white storks, mind!

brue replied on 13/05/2022 17:01

Posted on 12/05/2022 19:19 by Wherenext

but we've had no takers for any of our nest boxes, maybe a neighbour has gone to town and provided more "up market" accommodation

Don't know about up market Brue. We rode under a motorway bridge today on our bikes. There must have been at least 50 House Martin nests already under construction. Good food source nearby mind you with water right below bridge as well so I suppose it ticked a lot of (nest) boxes.

Posted on 13/05/2022 17:01

Just hoping Avian flu hasn't reduced the numbers of some uk birds this year, I can't think why we've had so few around, generally bluetits, great tits etc but we have got some successful blackbird nesting and lots of singing. smile

InaD replied on 13/05/2022 17:26

Posted on 12/05/2022 16:01 by Wherenext

Had a bike ride today so bird watching took a back seat. Nevertheless when we stopped for lunch in a "park type" reserve we saw White Storks, Nightingales and heard but couldn't find any of the 3 Golden Orioles we heard. Also saw a Middle Spotted W'pecker in flight.

They also had 2 Bewick Swans which seemed quite happy. I suppose they were either too old or ill to fly home.

Posted on 13/05/2022 17:26

We're away in Lincolnshire at the moment and also went for a bikeride today.  On the way back we passed a picnic area with toilets, so a very timely opportunity to use them.

And at the back, in one of the quieter grassy parts of the picnic area, was a couple who were on their way to their static on the coast.  With them was a tortoise, which was walking around, stretching its legs!  Must admit, I'd never seen one of those on a picnic area; it was quite active, and got up a good speed, the owners had to keep picking it up and bringing it back.

neveramsure replied on 13/05/2022 17:44

Posted on 12/05/2022 16:14 by brue

After a slow start we've spotted many Swallows and Housemartins coming in to join the early arrivals, a lot of silage cutting etc and the air has a plentiful supply of insects for them. We usually see a Swift or two but none so far. The birdsong has been lovely this year but we've had no takers for any of our nest boxes, maybe a neighbour has gone to town and provided more "up market" accommodation....? wink

Posted on 13/05/2022 17:44

Don’t know if they are upmarket boxes but I have been very lucky to have two nesting pairs of blue tits this yearlaughing. One box in the front garden and the other in the rear garden, both of which now have six chicks. I really made the effort during lock-down to provide nest boxes in better locations and installed a camera in each one, both linked to a NVR (network video recorder). I get alerts on my phone when there is movement in the boxes and at the moment it is going mental.smile

Here are a couple of recent pics of the nests and one pic of a wren that entered the nest one evening when the nest was only half built.

Wherenext replied on 13/05/2022 19:32

Posted on 13/05/2022 19:32

Don't know if you are familiar with the area we are in InaD. It's the Weeribben-Wieden National Park area. Supposed to be really pretty. We're looking forward to finding out.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook