Gardening: Hints and Help!

Takethedogalong replied on 22/02/2015 10:58

Posted on 22/02/2015 10:58

Gardening is probably my favourite hobby, and at this time of year, I love to have a good look around my own garden and decide what needs doing, does everything thrive where it is planted, and do I have space for anything else to change the look of the garden a little bit!

With this is mind, I wondered if like minded enthusiasts are interested in sharing good ideas, suggesting help or remedies for problems and just generally "chatting gardens and gardening"?

As an opening suggestion, there may be a few out there that share my love of a tiny but utterly lovely little flower, Convallaria Majaris, beloved of Spring Brides and flower arrangers, better known as deliciously scented "Lily of the Valley". Usually gorgeous in white, but you can actually find it, with a bit of searching, in shades of pale to quite bright pink! It is called CM var "Rosea", and smells just as lovely.

Anyone else got ideas to share?

Impy replied on 09/02/2021 14:37

Posted on 07/02/2021 10:03 by hostahousey

Planted some Sweet Peas indoors about 10days ago, they have shot up to about 4''. I think this growth may be too quick, what's the best option for these , or should I start again? I also planted some Ranunculus corms, never seen these before what strange plants, one just peeping through. I thought they may fill some gaps. Anyone else grow these plants ?

Posted on 09/02/2021 14:37

Pinch the growing tips off and the sweet peas will grow stronger and produce side shoots.

Freddy55 replied on 01/03/2021 11:14

Posted on 01/03/2021 11:14

Just a word of caution for fellow gardeners. Last year I applied liberal amounts of bagged, composted manure to my raised (veg) beds. In time, I then planted them up, as normal. After a while, it became apparent that something wasn’t right. My broad beans took on a whippy/distorted appearance, and I ended up having to pull them up. After some googling, I happened on something called Aminopyralid (I can’t remember the brand names). It’s the ingredient used in some weed killers, and as I understand it, is used by some farmers in their fields. This then finds its way into manure, some of which ends up on our gardens. There’s plenty of info online (just key in Aminopyralid contamination), but my message is don’t take bagged manure for granted. I would recommend carrying out a bean test, whereby you plant some beans into a mix of 50/50 manure and compost. Once they’re up, it should soon become apparent if there’s a problem. Just remembered this, a good video herewith that explains it.

Takethedogalong replied on 01/03/2021 11:32

Posted on 01/03/2021 11:32

That’s an interesting clip Freddy. More from the horse feed end for me. We were lucky in that farm where we kept our horse were very interested in land management, so hay fields contained a mix of good plants, the only thing eradicated was Ragwort, and any of this was dealt with by a tooled up “ragwort gang” rather than chemicals. I still detest seeing ragwort growing anywhere!

Thanks for sharing, hope things go better this year.

Freddy55 replied on 01/03/2021 11:44

Posted on 01/03/2021 11:32 by Takethedogalong

That’s an interesting clip Freddy. More from the horse feed end for me. We were lucky in that farm where we kept our horse were very interested in land management, so hay fields contained a mix of good plants, the only thing eradicated was Ragwort, and any of this was dealt with by a tooled up “ragwort gang” rather than chemicals. I still detest seeing ragwort growing anywhere!

Posted on 01/03/2021 11:44

Lesson learned for me. It’s a very persistent weedkiller, apparently (up to 2 years). To save waiting that long, the only cure is to dig the ground over several times before planting again. I understand it’s also been found in ‘enriched’ (bagged) compost. 

Takethedogalong replied on 01/03/2021 17:25

Posted on 01/03/2021 17:25

If you can find a livery yard/stables that has horses bedded on peat, the manure will be brilliant😁 It’s not used extensively nowadays, mainly because of costs, and environmental issues, but it helps some horses that have breathing issues on other types of bedding. Rare indeed. We tried our horse on a mix of peat and shavings, made a lovely bed, but it cost us a fortune, and he was sound winded, so we went back to dust free shavings. The shavings manure has to be very well rotted though, otherwise the urea content just burns the plants. Who said the science of poo management was boring......🤣

I was disappointed to miss out on some pots of Snakeshead Fritillaries the other day at Waitrose, they were post checkouts on way out😡 Result today though, popped into our Morrison’s, big pots for £2.50 each, twice size of those at Waitrose for £5 each🤩 So I bought two😂

Edit, back to your beds Freddy. If you have established woodland not far away, why not dig for leaf mould? Very rich, my Grandad was a very keel gardener of both veg and flowers, won lots of prizes. As a child, I can recall the annual trip into woods for leafmould with Pop, Dad and Uncles. Not sure if it’s legal nowadays though😉

Freddy55 replied on 01/03/2021 22:42

Posted on 01/03/2021 17:25 by Takethedogalong

If you can find a livery yard/stables that has horses bedded on peat, the manure will be brilliant😁 It’s not used extensively nowadays, mainly because of costs, and environmental issues, but it helps some horses that have breathing issues on other types of bedding. Rare indeed. We tried our horse on a mix of peat and shavings, made a lovely bed, but it cost us a fortune, and he was sound winded, so we went back to dust free shavings. The shavings manure has to be very well rotted though, otherwise the urea content just burns the plants. Who said the science of poo management was boring......🤣

I was disappointed to miss out on some pots of Snakeshead Fritillaries the other day at Waitrose, they were post checkouts on way out😡 Result today though, popped into our Morrison’s, big pots for £2.50 each, twice size of those at Waitrose for £5 each🤩 So I bought two😂

Edit, back to your beds Freddy. If you have established woodland not far away, why not dig for leaf mould? Very rich, my Grandad was a very keel gardener of both veg and flowers, won lots of prizes. As a child, I can recall the annual trip into woods for leafmould with Pop, Dad and Uncles. Not sure if it’s legal nowadays though😉

Posted on 01/03/2021 22:42

I have, as it happens, stocked up on some Levingington composted (bagged) manure, once I’d established it was ok. I should have enough to last a few years 🙂

Edit : I quite like the idea of leaf mould. The only problem is having somewhere to store it while it rots down. I also seem to recall that not all leaves are suitable? I don’t know.

hostahousey replied on 17/03/2021 09:39

Posted on 17/03/2021 09:39

Think Spring is nearly here, the Hostas are now starting to move. Some garden plants also, its been very cold the last few months .so now hope for some sun.

Takethedogalong replied on 17/03/2021 10:38

Posted on 17/03/2021 10:38

Indeed HH, I am looking at my hosta’s bought last year. No signs yet, but it’s cool at night here still. We have lots of bulbs out now, so much more colour here.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook