Best reads - Club Together Book Club?

RowenaBCAMC replied on 03/01/2014 12:47

Posted on 03/01/2014 12:47

I'm just about coming to the end of Deborah Moggach’s book, Heartbreak Hotel. I found it a very enjoyable read and very amusing. But what should I read next? Any recommendations? 

I also wondered if anyone would be interested in a Club Together book club? According to a member survey earlier last year, reading is the most recurring leisure activity whilst caravanning. I know I’m a book worm and I’m sure there’s a few of us out there who enjoy a good read. Anyone interested or any suggestions? 

Wherenext replied on 27/01/2021 20:55

Posted on 27/01/2021 20:55

I've just returned a book to the library, written by Graham Hurley. Never read one before but ordered 2, different storylines. The first one wasn't to my taste at all and I knew it after the first 30 pages so gave up on it. I started the second one last night and immediately read about 100 pages. Intend to read it to the end.

Both were given rave reviews but like TW I tend to ignore those and concentrate on a few websites that are consistently good at letting you know the score. It's a bit like reading reviews for campsites or CLs. There are some you have to read between the lines and some you just have to find out for yourself.

I don't tend to read "Blockbusters" or "Richard and Judy Recommends". Whose to say their taste is similar to mine?

Wherenext replied on 27/01/2021 21:05

Posted on 27/01/2021 21:05

Kindle have a M W Craven (Poe and Bradshaw) book on sale for £1.99 called Cut Short. Only problem is that it is 3 short stories in the book and I'm not a big fan of short stories. So do I get it or not? Probably as it's not going to break the bank. Anyone else have my misgivings about short stories?

Tinwheeler replied on 27/01/2021 21:09

Posted on 27/01/2021 21:09

Mmm, I like to get immersed in a good long gripping story and I'm sometimes disappointed if they seem to be over quickly. I do read short stories occasionally if they're about characters I've already met and liked in full length books.

brue replied on 18/02/2021 09:49

Posted on 18/02/2021 09:49

I gave up listening to the Radio 4 rendition of Richard Osman's "The Thursday Murder Club"...kept falling asleep and missing bits. I bought the book instead and I can see why it's been so popular, a good read, a sense of humour and some crimes to solve, I got to the end of it last night and enjoyed it. Quite a long book, broken down by character parts and some short chapters. A nice lockdown read! smile

Wherenext replied on 26/02/2021 22:14

Posted on 26/02/2021 22:14

Enjoyed a book by a new to me author, Colin Falconer. Lucifer Falls, the first in a current 4 book series of a Detective George based in London. Already ordered the second book from the library.

Wherenext replied on 17/03/2021 21:43

Posted on 17/03/2021 21:43

Both the second and third books by Colin Falconer, Innocence Dies and Angels Weep in the D.I.George series were excellent.

If you like Tom Thorne books by Mark Billingham then you'll like this newish series.

Wherenext replied on 23/03/2021 20:20

Posted on 23/03/2021 20:20

Also just finished Mark Billingham's latest Tom Thorne book, Cry Baby which was a nice departure from his most recent escapades, being set in the 1990s.

Currently reading Martin Walkers latest Bruno book, Shooting at Chateau Rock. Enjoying it.

brue replied on 24/03/2021 08:39

Posted on 24/03/2021 08:39

I'm reading Bill Bryson's "Shakespeare."

Young Bill Shakespeare had to leave London and go home due to the plague so it sort of fits in with modern times. It's a fact finding book, mercifully short but interesting, a pity we know so little about him but it brings things to life.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook