Growing hostas for a hobby

hostahousey replied on 01/04/2014 21:26

Posted on 01/04/2014 21:26

I grow Hosta's for a hobby. They come in all shapes ,sizes and colours. Dearly prized by flower arrangers for their destinctive flowers and leaves which come in shades from creamy white to almost blue, the flowers usually being either white through to purple. My Hosta's are all grown in pots, so when a pot becomes pot-bound I divide into smaller pots usually in late-ish Autumn. These re-potted plants are sold to passers -by the folleing Spring .The revenue from this provides me with either new Hosta's or compost and bedding plants.........Does any one else have and use plants as a Hobby  ??

Smilealot replied on 06/06/2019 23:05

Posted on 06/06/2019 23:05

Happy Hosta's!

We have grown Hosta's in the ground and in pots but they always seem to get eaten by slugs and snails. After watching Monty Don talking about garlic we have given it a try. After twenty years of trying everything, it has worked! We couldn't use slug pellets due to pets and trying to help wildlife. I filled a watering can, bought supermarket powered garlic and tipped half a teaspoon in. Left it in the watering can overnight. As soon as the tiny tips of the hostas break through the soil start watering and continue using garlic smelley water every time. The roots will take up the garlic and then the leaves as they grow. We have about fifteen pots of different Hosta's and they all have lovely huge leaves - first time this has ever happened! Will try putting Hosta's back in the ground next season but will need to check everyday for new shoots before slugs get them.

hostahousey replied on 15/05/2020 09:35

Posted on 15/05/2020 09:35

Hosta's look fantastic this year , could be all the rain we had earlier in the year. Having said that I have lost a couple ,possible water logging the pots.

hostahousey replied on 15/05/2020 09:38

Posted on 27/04/2019 17:12 by cyberyacht

How about "The Terminator" - Hosta la vista, baby!

Posted on 15/05/2020 09:38

Unfortunately I lost the Sport Cyber so no named Hosta for me.

Takethedogalong replied on 15/05/2020 11:11

Posted on 15/05/2020 09:35 by hostahousey

Hosta's look fantastic this year , could be all the rain we had earlier in the year. Having said that I have lost a couple ,possible water logging the pots.

Posted on 15/05/2020 11:11

Hello Hosta๐Ÿ˜ funnily enough you crossed my mind the other day. I spent ages pondering on which hosta to choose, but bottled out and got something else. But it needs to happen, they are lovely plants.

hostahousey replied on 15/05/2020 17:04

Posted on 15/05/2020 17:04

Nice to think someone thinks of me ha ha , bright eye catching ones IMO, Patriot , Fire and Ice , and June . Attractive blue ones Halcyon, Blue Moon. Others El Neno, Whirlwind etc etc I have about 35 varieties so there's many I like . Hope you get your choice takethedogalong

hostahousey replied on 17/05/2020 12:12

Posted on 17/05/2020 12:12

These are an example of some of my Hostas

Takethedogalong replied on 22/05/2020 10:08

Posted on 22/05/2020 10:08

Lovely healthy looking plants HH๐Ÿ‘ Well, I did it, bought two beauties early this week. Can’t remember names at the moment, but they are in some new pots now, good compost, and I have put some alpine grit on the top, as our blackbirds are very active rooting around in pots at the moment, the little blighters. Added to my collection yesterday via a neighbour........would I like a hosta? Yes please! 

I might be asking for care tips though, especially what to do in Winter.๐Ÿ˜

hostahousey replied on 28/05/2020 09:28

Posted on 28/05/2020 09:28

Winter time I usually leave my pots in position or move to a less conspicuous place . I let them die down naturally ( but  this is only a personal thing ) and leave all dead growth on , I feel this helps to keep the plant warmish through winter. In early spring remove all the dead growth, this to let more light onto the plant, give a good watering and feed.  Then bobs u uncle they start into growth ,  Hope this helps.

heddlo replied on 28/05/2020 12:38

Posted on 28/05/2020 12:38

Hostahousey could I ask some advice please?  We have this Hosta, can’t remember it’s name ‘Fire and Ice’ maybe?  It’s huge in the pot, we have divided it once so we have another pot with a similar sized plant.  It’s a really lovely Hosta.  We wondered about dividing again and planting in the border or would it just be slug and snail food?   

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook