Growing hostas for a hobby

hostahousey replied on 01/04/2014 21:26

Posted on 01/04/2014 21:26

I grow Hosta's for a hobby. They come in all shapes ,sizes and colours. Dearly prized by flower arrangers for their destinctive flowers and leaves which come in shades from creamy white to almost blue, the flowers usually being either white through to purple. My Hosta's are all grown in pots, so when a pot becomes pot-bound I divide into smaller pots usually in late-ish Autumn. These re-potted plants are sold to passers -by the folleing Spring .The revenue from this provides me with either new Hosta's or compost and bedding plants.........Does any one else have and use plants as a Hobby  ??

Bakers2 replied on 28/05/2020 13:34

Posted on 28/05/2020 12:38 by heddlo

Hostahousey could I ask some advice please?  We have this Hosta, can’t remember it’s name ‘Fire and Ice’ maybe?  It’s huge in the pot, we have divided it once so we have another pot with a similar sized plant.  It’s a really lovely Hosta.  We wondered about dividing again and planting in the border or would it just be slug and snail food?   

Posted on 28/05/2020 13:34

Beautiful plant. I wish you were closer I'd love some of it 😉

hostahousey replied on 30/05/2020 09:32

Posted on 28/05/2020 12:38 by heddlo

Hostahousey could I ask some advice please?  We have this Hosta, can’t remember it’s name ‘Fire and Ice’ maybe?  It’s huge in the pot, we have divided it once so we have another pot with a similar sized plant.  It’s a really lovely Hosta.  We wondered about dividing again and planting in the border or would it just be slug and snail food?   

Posted on 30/05/2020 09:32

Don't think that's ' Fire and Ice ' it looks more like ' Patriot ' or  ' Minuteman ' Fire and Ice is reversed white centre green outer. But yes you could divide again depending on size, as for planting in the ground ( all mine in pots ) yes but as you say slugs do like Hosta's . I would put a thicklish layer of small gravel around the base about 12'' dia but could not guarantee this would deter but  worth trying . If slugs do attack lift it and re-pot or pass on to a friend . Hope this helps.cool

hostahousey replied on 30/05/2020 11:26

Posted on 30/05/2020 11:26

These are photos of Patriot and Fire and Ice .

heddlo replied on 01/06/2020 12:58

Posted on 30/05/2020 09:32 by hostahousey

Don't think that's ' Fire and Ice ' it looks more like ' Patriot ' or  ' Minuteman ' Fire and Ice is reversed white centre green outer. But yes you could divide again depending on size, as for planting in the ground ( all mine in pots ) yes but as you say slugs do like Hosta's . I would put a thicklish layer of small gravel around the base about 12'' dia but could not guarantee this would deter but  worth trying . If slugs do attack lift it and re-pot or pass on to a friend . Hope this helps.cool

Posted on 01/06/2020 12:58

Many thanks for the reply hostahousey.  Sorry for the delay in replying this website has been a nightmare for the last few days!!!!  Yes Patriot rings a bell, it could be that one.  We have had it 10 years or so now so difficult to remember plant names.  We will have a go at dividing again and planting out some of it with the gravel around as you suggest and keep fingers crossed.  I’ve seen some lovely gardens with Hostas planted out and they look wonderful. 

hostahousey replied on 03/06/2020 09:10

Posted on 03/06/2020 09:10

Try not to plant in full sun , they are not too keen on it. I haven't much option on my frontage and it has full sun , they soon start, not looking their best.

hostahousey replied on 28/08/2020 10:20

Posted on 28/08/2020 10:20

Started splitting a few Hostas this week that are getting a little  Pot Bond.

Takethedogalong replied on 29/08/2020 10:29

Posted on 29/08/2020 10:29

Well, hosta, I have to thank you for your help and advice. Our three hostas are still doing well, in their pots, and only the odd leaf looking a bit the worse for wear. If you have any Winter tips I would be grateful. It can get very cold occasionally here, my pots are up well off the ground, and I do have a greenhouse, but I seldom heat it. Just wondering what might be best for them.....?

hostahousey replied on 30/08/2020 10:09

Posted on 29/08/2020 10:29 by Takethedogalong

Well, hosta, I have to thank you for your help and advice. Our three hostas are still doing well, in their pots, and only the odd leaf looking a bit the worse for wear. If you have any Winter tips I would be grateful. It can get very cold occasionally here, my pots are up well off the ground, and I do have a greenhouse, but I seldom heat it. Just wondering what might be best for them.....?

Posted on 30/08/2020 10:09

Hi  TTDA, I usually move my pots to a sheltered area, and I let the leaves die down naturally, but leave on the pots as I feel this helps in protection over winter. If your greenhouse is vacant over winter, that ideal for protection. I find they are quite hardy and fingers crossed they should be OK.

Takethedogalong replied on 30/08/2020 10:49

Posted on 30/08/2020 10:49

Thanks for this. I think mine might be ok left out, they are sheltered, and up off ground (hay rack with pots in) against a brick wall. But if there’s room in greenhouse, in they go. They still look great at the moment.

hostahousey replied on 31/08/2020 09:05

Posted on 31/08/2020 09:05

My Hostas in the back garden like yours are still looking good. But pots in the front have been subjected to the very hot sun this year, and are looking very tired and limp, so moved them to their winter spot.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook