Breakdown recovery and dogs

helmarpop replied on 27/02/2020 08:51

Posted on 27/02/2020 08:51

As recovery services no longer accept pets in the cabs I would be grateful if people could let me know alternative ideas for getting their pooches home in the event of a breakdown.

Been with Mayday for years and we did check that they were dog friendly but it seems this has changed in recent years as we recently found out the hard way. Fortunately we were near enough home to get a relative to come out and take our dog home.

I sincerely hope we don't need recovery services in the future but I would like to ensure that I can keep my pet safe. I do not consider being placed in a overheating vehicle on the back of a recovery vehicle in summer, possibly for hours, to be acceptable.  Welfare issues aside I daren't even ask what you would be expected to do with your pet if, god forbid, your vehicle was involved in an accident.

Any ideas/suggestions anyone?

replied on 19/03/2020 08:38

Posted on 19/03/2020 08:38

With the Coronavirus problems, I wonder whether the Recovery Vehicle drivers would be happier to have the dog in the cab with them and to banish the humans to the car on the recovery deck? sealed

Steve

dreamer1 replied on 21/06/2021 18:50

Posted on 27/02/2020 08:51 by helmarpop

As recovery services no longer accept pets in the cabs I would be grateful if people could let me know alternative ideas for getting their pooches home in the event of a breakdown.

Been with Mayday for years and we did check that they were dog friendly but it seems this has changed in recent years as we recently found out the hard way. Fortunately we were near enough home to get a relative to come out and take our dog home.

I sincerely hope we don't need recovery services in the future but I would like to ensure that I can keep my pet safe. I do not consider being placed in a overheating vehicle on the back of a recovery vehicle in summer, possibly for hours, to be acceptable.  Welfare issues aside I daren't even ask what you would be expected to do with your pet if, god forbid, your vehicle was involved in an accident.

Any ideas/suggestions anyone?

Posted on 21/06/2021 18:50

I think you are being a little over dramatic about your dog, we have a cocker and he travels in the back of the car in his crate from being a puppy and has travelled thousands of miles this way, Dylan is a major part of our family and his safety is my number one concern and we have been in this position when traveling to Cornwall, the car was put on the back of the truck with Dylan in his crate where he was  safe and secure, the windows were open enough to allow cool air to circulate, he vehicle was secured the caravan was hitched to the rear of the truck and Dylan lived to fight another day, i think owners are over thinking what to do with their pets. i would not put Dylan in any more danger than i would a child i knew where he was and he was checked on route. He didn't know any different  the car didn't fall off the truck and we carried on with our holiday after repairs and had a fantastic holiday.       

EmilysDad replied on 02/07/2021 13:55

Posted on 21/06/2021 18:50 by dreamer1

I think you are being a little over dramatic about your dog, we have a cocker and he travels in the back of the car in his crate from being a puppy and has travelled thousands of miles this way, Dylan is a major part of our family and his safety is my number one concern and we have been in this position when traveling to Cornwall, the car was put on the back of the truck with Dylan in his crate where he was  safe and secure, the windows were open enough to allow cool air to circulate, he vehicle was secured the caravan was hitched to the rear of the truck and Dylan lived to fight another day, i think owners are over thinking what to do with their pets. i would not put Dylan in any more danger than i would a child i knew where he was and he was checked on route. He didn't know any different  the car didn't fall off the truck and we carried on with our holiday after repairs and had a fantastic holiday.       

Posted on 02/07/2021 13:55

I would disagree with you. I know Molly the Mutt would be safe in our vehicle on the back of the recovery truck but she would not be at all happy & be quite distressed if she was not with us.

Takethedogalong replied on 02/07/2021 20:55

Posted on 02/07/2021 13:55 by EmilysDad

I would disagree with you. I know Molly the Mutt would be safe in our vehicle on the back of the recovery truck but she would not be at all happy & be quite distressed if she was not with us.

Posted on 02/07/2021 20:55

No way would we leave any dog of ours, crated or restrained in the back of a vehicle on a recovery truck, particularly a MH. You have two sets of suspension working in this instance, and watching our MH roll away on back of recovery vehicle, it was pitching and bouncing all over. I was appalled at just how much had bounced loose, come out of cupboards when we got our MH home, and the recovery truck driver wasn’t doing anything untoward. Our policy is, if it isn’t safe for a human, it isn’t safe for a dog. We would take the hit on the wallet and get a train home with the dog. Or hire a car.

EmilysDad replied on 02/07/2021 22:51

Posted on 02/07/2021 20:38 by eurortraveller

Emily’s Dad,  In that case I can only refer you back to my earlier suggestions dated 27/02/2020 in this thread.

Posted on 02/07/2021 22:51

I agree with your suggestions .... my comments were really directed to dreamer re the comment of over reacting 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook