Carbon footprint of pet ownership

Whittakerr replied on 29/01/2021 11:40

Posted on 29/01/2021 11:40

Just as it was revealed that pet ownership in the UK has soared during lockdown, a study shows the actual impact of such pet ownership on the planet.

Nearly half of all Britons who currently own a pet got at least one other during lockdown, and 10% of those households without a pet intend to get one in the next six months. The surge in popularity of pet ownership was uncovered by research that was carried out by Ipsos MORI on behalf of the investment company LetterOne.

The research comes just as the University of Edinburgh revealed analysis of the carbon footprint of pet food production, with an area equivalent to twice the size of the UK being used to produce dry food for cats and dogs each year, and that the industry is emitting more greenhouse gases than countries such as Mozambique and the Philippines.

The team analysed data on the main ingredients of more that 280 types of dry pet food available, which accounts for 95% of all pet food sales in the US and Europe, regions which account for two thirds of global sales. Around 49 million hectares of agricultural land is used to make this food including the crop plants of maize, rice of wheat. Associated greenhouse gas emissions of 106 million tonnes of carbon dioxide were recorded, a country producing such levels would be the worlds sixtieth highest emitter.

replied on 12/02/2021 17:07

Posted on 12/02/2021 17:07

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

eribaMotters replied on 12/02/2021 22:15

Posted on 12/02/2021 22:15

I've just had a thought. If we banned all cats and dogs, in addition to becoming vegetarians, then greenhouse gases would decline and we could carry on driving diesel cars to tow our caravans.

I also would not have to vac myself down when I return from my mothers as I'm covered in dog hairs. I must admit though the amount of dog muck has declined greatly as I've go older as more owners care about what there dog leaves behind for others to step in.

ABM replied on 17/02/2021 15:56

Posted on 12/02/2021 17:07 by

My pets must have a "footprint " heaters, and pumps 24hours per day and lights 12 per daywink

All automated so the their carer when we are away only has to top up the feeder and reservoir. 

Posted on 17/02/2021 15:56

Surely thats a FIN  print undecided

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook