Warning for those who tour with pet cats.

Takethedogalong replied on 05/03/2021 21:11

Posted on 05/03/2021 21:11

Distressing information around what is happening on Bolton Abbey Estate at the moment. Just a heads up for anyone who takes a cat away with them, and might be thinking of visiting BA, which is a lovely place, great Site. Take extra care of any pet cats😢

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/people/fell-runner-finds-feral-cat-killed-by-snare-trap-on-bolton-abbey-estate-in-wharfedale-3143927

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 07/03/2021 09:47

Posted on 07/03/2021 09:42 by

What diatribe? However don't bother answering because I am not about to provide your Sunday entertainment.

Posted on 07/03/2021 09:47

OK👍🏻😊

replied on 07/03/2021 10:02

Posted on 07/03/2021 10:02

On a related issue [re pet protection], there are 'white van' scammers operating in the Central Belt in Scotland. In addition to knocking the door offering to fix you roof/tarmac your drive, they listeen for barking dogs, especially at unoccupied properties during the working day, and try to 'dognap' them. The dognappers' are also snatching dogs that are tied up outside shops.

A Twitter acquaintance who lives a lonely life with his two dogs had both dognapped in late December and has been driving anywhere/everywhere following up possible sightings. Police have tweeted warnings of any localised dognapping attempts.

Possible that this activity may spread to caravan sites after the reopening. Seems the thieves have tapped into the market for pets that people have sought to mitigate COVID social isolation.

Steve

Takethedogalong replied on 07/03/2021 10:27

Posted on 07/03/2021 10:27

Indeed Steve, it is rife everywhere, shocking attacks on one of two folks simply walking their dogs. I get regular police texts, and it is one of subjects that comes up every week. They aren’t even safe in your own garden.

AD, yes anyone who takes a dog (or cat) out into countryside needs to be aware of it and certainly in the case of dogs, they should be under full control, (bit more difficult with a cat, but not impossible). I don’t think anyone would dispute that.
This is something else though, the wilful killing of anything be it mammal or bird that interferes with the massive profits generated from grouse shooting. The Estate at Bolton Abbey are catching anything, not checking traps to release things it is illegal to kill, in fact couldn’t care less what they catch as long as the precious birds are left unscathed to be blasted to bits at a later date. You cannot walk a dog on many parts of the moorland up there, even on a lead. They aren’t fond of humans not carrying guns either. 
All I wanted to do was let prospective visitors know what is happening on the moors around there, and to keep a close eye on their pets. 

clarinetman replied on 13/03/2021 23:02

Posted on 13/03/2021 23:02

Yes I agree no animal should be cruelly trapped that’s why I Complained to the caravan club about trapping moles at Norfolk broads site , I was told this was not the clubs usual way of controlling moles and an area manager would contact me. Did they no not surprised really.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook