#3500 lives – what are your tips for safe driving?

RochelleCC replied on 10/03/2017 10:34

Posted on 10/03/2017 10:34

Today the FIA launched their #3500lives road safety campaign. The campaign is designed to raise awareness of the risk factors faced by drivers through a series of powerful posters which tackle key issues such as texting whilst driving, using a child safety seat correctly, checking tyres and stopping when tired.

We think that this is an extremely worthwhile cause, and I’d love to hear your thoughts on the campaign.

What are your top tips for safe driving?

You can find out more about the campaign at www.fia.com

Metheven replied on 10/03/2017 11:10

Posted on 10/03/2017 11:10

I think good signage is important, not having to lean out the window and thinking "Is that the CL we are looking for". Clarity in all road signs is a given in aiding the motorist.

Fysherman replied on 10/03/2017 11:34

Posted on 10/03/2017 11:10 by Metheven

I think good signage is important, not having to lean out the window and thinking "Is that the CL we are looking for". Clarity in all road signs is a given in aiding the motorist.

Posted on 10/03/2017 11:34

Spot on Dave,. Just seen an example of the sign on Ian's post in the CL section.

The club seems to be going through a bad time at the moment. I hope someone with a degree of experience gets a grip before too much more damage to the club's reputation is done.

SteveL replied on 10/03/2017 11:34

Posted on 10/03/2017 11:34

Considering the implications of your actions. For instance, on a narrow road with restricted visibility, would you be able to stop in time, or are you traveling too fast?

Navigateur replied on 10/03/2017 12:00

Posted on 10/03/2017 12:00

Driving a motor vehicle is an activity that requires full attention.  It is well publicised that it is incompatible with doing other things at the same time such as using a cellular phone, map reading, smoking, eating or arguing with a passenger.  I would even add to the list listening to talking on the radio.  Engaging in these other activities can be done, but it takes brain capacity away from the awareness of surrroundings that is needed to avoid collisions with other road users of all kinds.

A proper annual medical and psycological test would be a great help, as would a regular test of driving ability and standards - and for ALL ages. There is no funding for this but money has to be found for medical attention and victim compensation. Being allowed to drive should be a privilege, not a right.

In the main there are no dangerous roads, only the drivers on them - although the recent fatal bridge collapse in Germany proves the exception.

replied on 10/03/2017 12:11

Posted on 10/03/2017 12:11

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Tinwheeler replied on 10/03/2017 12:34

Posted on 10/03/2017 12:34

Keeping your eyes on the road and your hands on the controls. Not studying the oncoming white blob to see if it's a delivery van or a MH so you can wave with glee at another MH-er who is similarly distracted from driving with care and attention.

JillwithaJay replied on 10/03/2017 12:50

Posted on 10/03/2017 12:50

Many years ago, Lancashire Constabulary Motor Driving School told me to drive as though every other driver on the road is an idiot and, therefore, you have to think not only for yourself but for them as well. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook