Aires in the UK

Biggarmac replied on 08/07/2020 18:16

Posted on 08/07/2020 18:16

Like many members who motorhome abroad I would like to see more provision in the UK similar to the Aires, Soastas, Stelplatz etc. that we find abroad.  There is a facebook which has been set up for this purpose.  Campaign for real Aires CAMpRA.  If you are interested in helping to get this sort of facility in the UK you would be very welcome to join.

While CLs go some way to catering for aire type camping they are only available to us as members of this club, but are not readily available to visitors from abroad.

This is not a "wildcamping" group.  In the present situation many campsites are not opening in 2020 and waste disposal facilities are urgently required.  We are showing communities how they can levy a reasonable charge for providing facilities for motorhomers who are fully self sufficient and only need waste disposal every few days.  We are also trying to get councils to allow more motorhome parking, both day and night, by showing the value of the motorhome market to those places who are already offering parking, such as the Little Roodee carpark in Chester.

Moderator Comment - Biggarmac I hope I have added the right link into your post?

SteveL replied on 02/08/2020 10:23

Posted on 02/08/2020 09:57 by peedee

Personally I think if someone did set up a campingcarpark style set up, as we used in France, prices would be near the £20 a night mark rather than the 12€ of over there.

Canterbury, £3.50p.n.

peedee

Posted on 02/08/2020 10:23

I believe it's a one off, run by the local authority rather than part of a chain. I can't see a commercial organisation setting up and running 200 odd sites spread over the country for that price. Also don't know what it has in the way of facilities. The campingcarpark ones, have water/waste, often 6 amp electric and wifi, barrier control and the ability to book if required.

Several of the free or very cheap Aires in France, previously local authority run, are now looked after by campingcarpark on a commercial basis. If folk want Aires, I see it as the way forward. Just don't expect it to be an ultra cheap option.

replied on 02/08/2020 11:04

Posted on 02/08/2020 07:57 by peedee

In spite of the name change, the Club is still stuck in a rut and in reality still thinks its future lies in providing long stay facilties which are just not required by the motorhome owner. In spite of what others have said, without evidence I might add, the Club is not prospering.  As shown by the last set of accounts.  membership is declining as well as profitability. Ignoring CV19, this may well be set to continue unless the Club makes more changes to provide for the increasing use of motorhomes and camper vans.

peedee

Posted on 02/08/2020 11:04

Why should the name change have made any difference PD? Motorhomes and campervans used the sites before the change and as a marketing ploy the name was changed to acknowledge this. Why they changed the logo to a walls ice cream inspired one I have simply no idea.

As for long stay facilities I am not sure what you mean as you can stay one night or up to 21 nights. Do you mean EHU and showers, clothes wash etc? . 

Or is it the old chestnut of wanting a special area and cheaper prices?

JVB66 replied on 02/08/2020 11:09

Personally I think if someone did set up a campingcarpark style set up, as we used in France, prices would be near the £20 a night mark rather than the 12€ of over there.

Canterbury, £3.50p.n.

peedee

Posted on 02/08/2020 11:09

That is i think te only one  and that is subsidised by the local taxes ,undecided 

replied on 02/08/2020 12:13

Canterbury, £3.50p.n.

peedee

Posted on 02/08/2020 12:13

Not quite correct PD. Charging period is midnight to midnight and so if you stay just overnight it is £7 normally. 

Presently 50p midnight to midnight and no P&R busses but bus stop nearby. Looks like you are paying for a parking space and the P& R bus in normal times. Facilities look like a waste water drain only. Parking cheek by jowl.

peedee replied on 03/08/2020 07:35

Posted on 02/08/2020 12:13 by

Not quite correct PD. Charging period is midnight to midnight and so if you stay just overnight it is £7 normally. 

Presently 50p midnight to midnight and no P&R busses but bus stop nearby. Looks like you are paying for a parking space and the P& R bus in normal times. Facilities look like a waste water drain only. Parking cheek by jowl.

Posted on 03/08/2020 07:35

Thanks for the correction ET, I'll get there one day to try it out.

peedee

scoutman replied on 07/08/2020 10:17

Posted on 07/08/2020 10:17

BBC Wales reporting that Authorities in Pembrokeshire are clamping down on wildcamping of campers and motorhomes in carparks, laybys and verges throughout tourist areas of the county. Early morning patrols starting around 5.00 am are taking place and fixed penalty notices of £70 issued.These are prompted by the dumping of rubbish including toilet waste. Some of the images show many expensive motorhomes including large tag axle ones parked up. This is not an anti motorhome post but purely to warn those who consider wildcamping that they may get an early morning shock.

SeasideBill replied on 07/08/2020 11:08

Posted on 07/08/2020 11:08

Good, those who break the rules should take the consequences. They spoil it for the rest of us.

Im always surprised by the number of folks driving around in £60k + motorhomes with all the toys who want to break the rules to save £15 per night.

JVB66 replied on 07/08/2020 11:33

Posted on 07/08/2020 11:33

By that picture, "if"? the motor caravans in shown will be tha ones who complain about "small pitchessurprised"

KjellNN replied on 07/08/2020 12:45

Posted on 07/08/2020 12:45

Description I have seen said fresh water, waste water and toilet emptying.

Good facility, other councils should take note and follow their lead, especially where they want to promote tourism.

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook