Any Adria owners who moved from a British van

mikeouk replied on 25/02/2021 10:43

Posted on 25/02/2021 10:43

We bought a new Bailey 430-4 nearly 3 years ago, its been a great van and suited the wife and I perfectly, I must admit I always wished Id bought the next model size up (530-4), it was only a few hundred pounds more at the time, but was limited with weight of our tow car at the time. We always said that the next caravan we bought would have longer bench seats, we both like to lie down in the van while watching tv, and being 6ft, my legs would hang off the ends of the seat. Also, some of the build quality was a little underwhelming , certain parts of the van felt very flimsy. I understand the pursuit is an entry level lightweight van, so there is always going to be a compromise with the sturdiness of the components, but it just wasn't put together very well in places. We never had any problems with it, no damp either, but my feeling is, after reading experiences of other British van owners, that maybe we were just lucky in that respect.

Anyway, we were offered a really good price for the pursuit by a private buyer, i hadn't even considered selling it, but an imminent house renovation would mean we'd have little time for caravanning this year, so with a heavy heart we sold it, with the plan to buy a replacement van at the end of the year.

So I've done some extensive research, looking at new vans that offer the layout we want at our price point, there's some British vans which look really nice, but I have a niggling doubt about build quality. I kept going back to the Adria altea dart, we kind of like the contempory European interior, apart from the terrible colour of the upholstery ,however, I discovered adrea had added the option of a more pleasant fabric colour, so that more or less ticks all the boxes for us now, so a deposit has been paid . We've not even set foot in one ,but happy to buy unseen on the strength of online reviews.

So ,my question after rambling, who has moved from a British van to an adrea? is the build quality noticeably better? Do you like it better than a british van?

Extugger replied on 27/02/2021 09:27

Posted on 27/02/2021 07:47 by LLM

Are Adria MH's equally well built and reliable?

Posted on 27/02/2021 09:27

I don't own one, but my sister does and she has found it utterly reliable and robust. Sadly, the Italian manufactured engine has not been quite the same.

IanTG replied on 08/03/2021 09:09

Posted on 08/03/2021 09:09

We changed from a string of British vans (Bailey, Sterling, Swift) to a new Adria Adora Isonzo last year. Whilst usage has been a little limited due to lockdowns, I would say what we prefer with the Adria is:

1. build quality does seem better - not so many annoying little loose handles, hinges etc

2. the style feels more modern

3. the 8' width (not unique to Adria I know) makes a huge difference to the feeling of space, and also allows the transverse bed to be full out, and not need a mattress insert

4. longer A-frame allows for cycle rack mounting

5. overall layout, similar to what he had previously (transverse bed, end bathroom) but just prefer how its arranged (more kitchen space)

What we miss, or don't prefer, to a degree is:

1. no alarm fitted as standard, which has insurance implications

2. downside of the longer A-frame is the extra length for the same size body, become over 8 metres, which some sites don't take

3. no built-in electric plate in kitchen (so we purchased a plug-in induction plate, which we now actually prefer for speed and control)

asda160 replied on 08/03/2021 09:37

Posted on 08/03/2021 09:37

Mikeouk

Yes we have for the very reasons you are concerned about.

The British vans we've had from the Swift and latterly Elddis stable were beset with persistent faults  & excessive damp.

The Elddis locker door coming off in my hand was the final straw.

Our caravan engineer was canvassed as to the brand's he worked on but repaired the least. He advised Adria.

We bought a 2020 Adria Adora Thames. Not one thing has fallen off or failed to work and it's the first time that whilst in storage that the dehumidifier/water traps have not needed changing.

It isn't a year old yet, first service in July and in fairness we've only managed a total of 5 week away in it due to Covid. We're hoping for our first ever service whereupon no damp is recorded.

I've a feeling we don't even need to cross our fingers.

TimJim replied on 08/03/2021 14:16

Posted on 08/03/2021 14:16

After 45+ years of touring our first van Bailey Pageant deville. Proper British van when Bailey built them right. Burstner S Class Superb in every respect only changed as it became too big for two of us. Replaced with a Coachman. 10 years fault free service. Then the horror story Bailey Alutech problems too numerous to mention . Full refund after 6 months at war with dealer and Bailey. Then ADRIA.. lovely van no issues in 5 years. Now new Burstner moho. Just superb. Pipped the new ADRIA for features and seating layout. We looked at every British maker of mohos. Baileys still consistently poor build quality perhaps only surpassed by Eldiss. I'm afraid the continentals were always and stil are head shoulders above the Brits imho.

Tj

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook