Corona Virus Concerns

thebells replied on 06/04/2020 09:04

Posted on 06/04/2020 09:04

As the other (Stay or go) thread appears to be locked, I've started this one. There is no specific subject matter so hopefully everyone can continue to update others as to what's happening in their lives and areas. I live in the suburbs (but hope to move to rural Northumberland in next few years) and found it really illuminating to hear how those living in rural areas are being affected by issues such as tourists and lack of access to shops etc

Unlocked at 21.06

Bakers2 replied on 06/04/2020 09:34

Posted on 06/04/2020 09:34

I'm delighted that you've started as new thread, I was contemplating doing so. I do sincerely hope that folk will refrain from adding posts which are likely to get this closed too.

I too liked to read how others are faring wherever they live. We live about a mile from the city centre, it's more like a village 😉 and has always had good social interaction. This is paying dividends now and folks are still finding more ways to interact with technology.

Our main issue is online shopping, having an OH in the highly vulnerable category - no letter! I did secure an online shop for 21st April at 2am. Thank goodness for great neighbours and friends. Lots of more local companies are starting online deliveries,  it takes time, and I'd love to support them but they are offering boxes which doesn't suit us. But again feedback will help. Them over time. So it's back to relying on neighbours. (Kids live away one in NZ  the other in Huntingdon shire both are doing their bit in helping others - comes from the being raised by a village 😉😉). The store I have online shop with has limit of 80 items, fair enough, but when you don't know when you can next access the service that's not much even buying the biggest size of items 😂. Especially if you need lots of the basics because you've had to be inventive over the previous 6 weeks 😂😂. I've been a more local shopper for years so never had the need for online.

I noticed more traffic over the weekend and again first thing this morning. I do hope that's the result of folks being key workers or voluntary workers.

InaD replied on 06/04/2020 09:47

Posted on 06/04/2020 09:47

noticed more traffic over the weekend and again first thing this morning. I do hope that's the result of folks being key workers or voluntary workers.

I noticed that too yesterday.  We went for our once daily walk from  home, on the footpath along a bypass, which normally is fairly busy.  It's near a smallish town.  Up until yesterday traffic was fairly light, but not yesterday!  Both OH and I remarked on it.  As it was quite a nice day, although quite windy here, we did wonder whether some of those were en route to somewhere to walk.

Noticed some people will move across well before you meet them, in which case we always thank them.  Others however seem intent on carrying straight on.  We seem to do most of the moving away, but then we are very cautious, moving well before getting too close.

Metheven replied on 06/04/2020 09:55

Posted on 06/04/2020 09:55

We live rural, a small village to the east of Hull with two pubs (closed), two takeaways (open for deliveries) and a small shop (really handy) that we also supported before this crisis.

No tourism to worry about here other than it's main road being a route to the coast albeit not a major one.

It's fairly quiet and rarely have need to venture further, other than our toilet roll saga earlier where we were forced to go in search at our neighbour towns supermarkets but to no avail. Luckily our neighbour gave us a pack to keep going and supplies are now available to all after everyone had their stock mountain.

Freezer is full and our local shop supplies our regular needs such as milk, bread etc.

Did manage to register online for shopping but never got a slot, so will probably never bother again. 

Seem to notice more families out walking, probably a bonding thing as in more usual circumstances the kids would be doing their own thing and not with Mum and Dad. Everyone behaving as should with social distancing and far less traffic on the road. 

Bakers2 replied on 06/04/2020 09:58

Posted on 06/04/2020 09:58

If folks don't cooperate with the social distancing guidelines it will be lockdown and no outside exercise. Don't be selfish! We are lucky in that their are only 2 of us in our family home now and we have access to a garden. So many folks are not that lucky and confined in flats or relationships that need a break outside so let's put ourselves in their positions. As noted above OH in the very high risk category so I too am on day 18 of self isolation..I've put the bins out the front and done the 'Regency doorstep dance' we lack the outfits and music 😂. We have not been asked to fight for our country or send our children to strangers as has happened before. JUST STAY INDOORS.

I saw a really good illustration of 2m distancing but cannot find it now 😤 . So an attempt to recreate it

😃 2m ↔ 😃

2m ⬇

Buried body

replied on 06/04/2020 10:09

Posted on 06/04/2020 09:58 by Bakers2

If folks don't cooperate with the social distancing guidelines it will be lockdown and no outside exercise. Don't be selfish! We are lucky in that their are only 2 of us in our family home now and we have access to a garden. So many folks are not that lucky and confined in flats or relationships that need a break outside so let's put ourselves in their positions. As noted above OH in the very high risk category so I too am on day 18 of self isolation..I've put the bins out the front and done the 'Regency doorstep dance' we lack the outfits and music 😂. We have not been asked to fight for our country or send our children to strangers as has happened before. JUST STAY INDOORS.

I saw a really good illustration of 2m distancing but cannot find it now 😤 . So an attempt to recreate it

😃 2m ↔ 😃

2m ⬇

Buried body

Posted on 06/04/2020 10:09

I'm being ultra cautious because my State Pension increase begins tomorrow ... 'Well, on the bright side, Mrs M., at least you hadn't had chance to rely on the extra payment ...' undecided

Steve

moulesy replied on 06/04/2020 10:13

Posted on 06/04/2020 10:13

"I noticed more traffic over the weekend and again first thing this morning. I do hope that's the result of folks being key workers or voluntary workers."

Maybe it's a Monday morning thing but the police were out in force this morning stopping traffic going into town. All perfectly amicable and I was waved through once I'd shown them my Cinnamon Trust ID (2nd Monday stop) . Good for them too - I don't think anyone going about their legitimate business need be apprehensive about being stopped. 

ForestR replied on 06/04/2020 10:19

Posted on 06/04/2020 10:19

I intended to put this on the other thread last night to update my earlier posts but found it locked.

We live very near to a junction where two motorways converge so when we take our daily walk we cross over the M6. Reading about all the problems of crowds of people descending on our fellow members in rural and coastal areas I thought it would be interesting to keep an eye on the motorway traffic each day when we take a walk.

Yesterday evening as we crossed the bridge which takes about a minute I counted the vehicles passing under the bridge. There were 4 lorries, 2 vans and 14  cars at a time when on a normal sunny Sunday evening it would have had hundreds of vehicles returning from a day out in Blackpool, Southport and the Lakes. There were no vehicles waiting at the traffic lights  to go on or off the motorway and we only saw 5 people walking in half an hour. I have never seen the M6 so quiet in 30 years. The motorway at the bottom of our garden does sound busier this morning but a quick look out of the front bedroom window showed it to be mostly a lot more lorries.

In our area the shops were almost completely restocked last week and the queues outside reasonable so no problems obtaining essential supplies.

JVB66 replied on 06/04/2020 10:21

Posted on 06/04/2020 10:21

We also noticed more traffic yesterday ,and the boy racers were out last night (very noticeable, all noise but no power it seems),and also as the weather was so good (cloud and light rain today) many "families?) walking in groups,

May have posted before but it seems the younger generation are more aware ,as when on their usual  Iphones ,instead of trying to walk through you,  when out for essential  exercise walks , they move over firstwink

Just a thought , has any body weighed light rain showers  and heavy rain showers to see if there is a difference?surprised

Fisherman replied on 06/04/2020 10:34

Posted on 06/04/2020 10:34

Our village is small,a hamlet really. No shop,pub etc. Nearest small town 3 miles with Drs, Pharmacy and Co op store. Little traffic over the week end. People walk on my land but everyone seems to distance, really not often more than one at a time.Dog walkers clear up. No supermarket deliveries but the fit ones shop for us vulnerable ones. They also bring meals. Really seen the neighbourhood self help step up to the mark.Our biggest concern is some second homers have come from virus hot spots over the week end.The authorities apparently cant force them to leave.Always some selfish prats about but there you go. Now of course we are only a few weeks into the lockdown, the test will be the longevity of it. Lets hope we all maintain our helping hands and isolationship.

scoutman replied on 06/04/2020 10:36

Posted on 06/04/2020 10:21 by JVB66

We also noticed more traffic yesterday ,and the boy racers were out last night (very noticeable, all noise but no power it seems),and also as the weather was so good (cloud and light rain today) many "families?) walking in groups,

May have posted before but it seems the younger generation are more aware ,as when on their usual  Iphones ,instead of trying to walk through you they move over firstwink

Just a thought , has any body weighed light rain showers  and heavy rain showers to see if there is a difference?surprised

Posted on 06/04/2020 10:36

Interesting conundrum, 1 litre of light rain = 1 kg, 1 litre of heavy rain= 1 kg. Just the time taken that changes. Oh dear I think I must get out more often, if only we all could! 😢😢😢😢

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook