Flashing flag/light poles

Mrs Cobley replied on 17/06/2019 09:23

Posted on 17/06/2019 09:23

Could the club Not ban these from sites as they can be a hazard to people with Ep' also if you had a light in your garden at home which is distracting neighbours' others would you Not ask that neighbour to turn the bloody thing Off. rest my peace Rant.

ABM replied on 20/06/2019 16:26

Posted on 20/06/2019 16:26

Rocky mate I hate to have to correct you but "Methuselah" does not, repeat NOT, start with a  " B "

A B M  !!  wink

trellis replied on 20/06/2019 16:59

Posted on 20/06/2019 16:26 by ABM

Rocky mate I hate to have to correct you but "Methuselah" does not, repeat NOT, start with a  " B "

A B M  !!  wink

Posted on 20/06/2019 16:59

Bejabers does though , to be sure .πŸ˜€πŸ˜€ .

Zigga replied on 22/06/2023 19:54

Posted on 22/06/2023 19:54

This was an answer on a post in Facebook when someone was looking to buy these flag pole flashing lights:  "Personally if anyone was camped near me with one of those, I would have to up pitch and move. Flashing lights affect my eyes, give me visual migraines and people who have epilepsy would be affected badly. We, as most people, go away for peace and quiet and would be really upset if we had to contend with flashing light sticks etc in the quiet and dark of the countryside, or any other pitch for that matter. Please re-think, as although you may believe it is a "bit of fun" and a "talking point", you may not be as popular as those who are respectful of others rest and relaxation on holiday."

IT HAPPENED!! We stayed in Tredegar last night and the person opposite had these massive, awful lights flashing directly opposite us just a few feet away! They were inside watching television, so I have no idea what use they were to them, other than "look at me, aren't we clever (not)" lights. We were not able to sit outside as flashing lights give me migraine, so we had to go inside and close our blinds. There were many people talking about the lights the next morning, but not in a positive way. The warden was really upset with the complaints she got too, but she said there was nothing she could do about it.  These nuisance lights are so inconsiderate and very, very annoying. Ruined our stay in what is usually a lovely peaceful campsite. I am not a spoilsport, nor an old moaner, but I feel really strongly about this.  

If I wanted to go to the Blackpool illuminations, I would go there, I just don't choose to do that when I travel in my caravan for peace and quiet and to sit outside and enjoy a drink in the evenings.  If you agree with this, please let the Caravan Club know your views, or it may be that we end up in campsites resembling fairgrounds in the near future.  

Tinwheeler replied on 22/06/2023 20:14

Posted on 22/06/2023 20:14

Did you not explain to your neighbour the effect the lights have on you? A polite request and a bit of friendly conversation may well have resulted in them turning the lights off. They probably had no idea of the problem they were causing.

flatcoat replied on 23/06/2023 13:29

Posted on 23/06/2023 13:29

I think these flagpole lights are simply childish - if they float your boat that is fine, just don’t expect everyone to enjoy your personal ego driven Blackpool illuminations. Given some of the clubs petty rules, it amazes me such displays are allowed. 

JollyKernow replied on 23/06/2023 20:26

Posted on 23/06/2023 13:29 by flatcoat

I think these flagpole lights are simply childish - if they float your boat that is fine, just don’t expect everyone to enjoy your personal ego driven Blackpool illuminations. Given some of the clubs petty rules, it amazes me such displays are allowed. 

Posted on 23/06/2023 20:26

We have a couple on site that have a flagpole with lights on (not flashing). They're both 92, they're probably wishing they were childishyell. They asked beforehand if it would be ok as it brings them joy looking at them of an evening. I don't think there's any ego involved. Should we make a "petty" rule to spoil that joy it brings them? 

To the op, I think a friendly word with the neighbour would have worked or failing that the site staff could help.

JK

eribaMotters replied on 23/06/2023 22:13

Posted on 23/06/2023 22:13

I came across these for the first time a few years ago on an Isle of Wight site. We have a pop-top caravan and the flashing continued well into the night reflecting of every conceivable surface.

Next day I politely drew attention to this and received an apology and lights out from there on at a sensible bedtime. But I should not have to have asked.

Why are they allowed. I could go into a rant about them being tacky, like others reminding me of cheap seafront or fairground illuminations that have no place on a campsite. They are a form of light pollution and stop your reasonable enjoyment. If you want them then fine, stick them in your blacked out awning so you can enjoy them and let the rest of the campsite enjoy there holiday.

Colin

Tinwheeler replied on 23/06/2023 22:24

Posted on 23/06/2023 22:24

See, it pays to talk. People don’t realise the annoyance they can cause to others. That applies not just to lights but to numerous aspects of behaviour. Most folk will react well to a polite friendly approach.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook