Grand theft in the SW

viatorem replied on 14/08/2019 13:41

Posted on 14/08/2019 13:41

We were enjoying the last week of our excellent 5 week tour of Devon and Cornwall having found a rare dog friendly beach we decided to make an early visit to let our dog run freely 30 minutes or so without interfering with families etc. Having spotted some free parking in passing the previous day we thought we would be early enough to find a free space. Our luck was in so we were the first to arrive at where there have be 20 or so cars parked the day before. A few hundred yards away was the official beach car park at a fixed fee of £7 a day. Just as we were getting the dog from the back of the car a chap took the trouble to pull up in his van to berate us for "stealing from the Cornish economy". Interesting, maybe he had shares in the car park company!

Wherenext replied on 15/08/2019 20:51

Posted on 15/08/2019 17:26 by Tinwheeler

In the case of the Cornish incident, WN, I very much doubt it was a council car park.

Posted on 15/08/2019 20:51

Maybe so TW, you know the area better than I, but as it would reflect badly on the area  I think the council should have a say in the matter. I know it's not that easy but most councils would have some sort of pressure to apply on the owners. I know for myself I would avoid the area, which is a shame.

Takethedogalong replied on 15/08/2019 21:12

Posted on 15/08/2019 21:12

We have just had a fortnight in Devon, mainly on Dartmoor, but we have been into towns and beauty spots as well. Our new car is around same length as our MH, but not as wide. I don’t think we have spent up to £10 on car park fees the whole fortnight, and we have used at least six different pay to park car parks. It was noticeable that Cornwall was a lot more expensive last year for parking. Northumberland and Scottish Borders are great, mainly free. If you want total rip off try parts of North Yorkshire. 

viatorem replied on 16/08/2019 08:35

Posted on 16/08/2019 08:35

It was not a council car park, we did use it for a couple of times when we had a day on the beach, due contribution made😉

Wildwood replied on 16/08/2019 11:47

Posted on 16/08/2019 11:47

Basically if there is free parking people will use it and if you did not someone else would have and so you did not deprive the local economy as presumably whoever could not get in with you used a pay park.

Tinwheeler replied on 16/08/2019 11:49

Posted on 16/08/2019 08:35 by viatorem

It was not a council car park, we did use it for a couple of times when we had a day on the beach, due contribution made😉

Posted on 16/08/2019 11:49

I thank you for your contribution Via😀. 

SteveL replied on 16/08/2019 12:47

Posted on 14/08/2019 17:25 by cyberyacht

Seven quid? Bargain! I was going to stop off at Cotswold Water Park on the way home the other day. They wanted £20 so I just turned round in the approach road and left, as did a couple of other cars in the queue. I mean, twenty quid to park at a tarted up gravel pit! What planet do these people live on?

Posted on 16/08/2019 12:47

Doesn't the charge for the water park include access to the beach for swimming, building sand castles etc, plus a kids play area. I don't think it is designed for a brief stop off.😀

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook