Hybrid tow car

DenandAnn replied on 18/02/2020 11:01

Posted on 18/02/2020 11:01

My Hubby wants to change our diesel tow car for a hybrid . He has short listed  2 models the Mitsubishi outlander and the Rav 4. Our caravan weighs 1450, Has anyone towed with these cars. We would be interested in their opinions, as we can find little info on using thsese as tow cars  

Oneputt replied on 30/04/2020 07:56

Posted on 30/04/2020 07:56

When you watch hybrid reviews you will note most are carried out in towns and maybe the odd motorway.  If they are towing (UK reviews) you will see they are generally film in Norfolk, I wonder why......

viatorem replied on 08/05/2020 23:29

Posted on 08/05/2020 23:29

Suppose it depends if you tow twice a year or every weekend.

Oscarmax replied on 10/05/2020 11:44

Posted on 10/05/2020 03:16 by DSB

Hi Oscarmax. I have edited your post to make the links active.  Now folk should just be able to click on, to get to the page....

David

Posted on 10/05/2020 11:44

Thanks for correcting the link, not sure what I done wrong.

Oscarmax replied on 10/05/2020 11:52

Posted on 08/05/2020 23:29 by viatorem

Suppose it depends if you tow twice a year or every weekend.

Posted on 10/05/2020 11:52

You are correct at present there is no real substitute for a diesel for towing, especially if you are a very regular tower, we only tow occasionally,unless we are towing all are journey are less the 30 miles.

Oscarmax replied on 20/08/2020 21:08

Posted on 25/02/2020 10:46 by DenandAnn

@OscarMax

We would be very interested in your opinion of the car once you have towed with it. 

When do you expect to do that?

We can live with 24 MPG since that is not much less than we currently get from our Mazda CX5 diesel when towing (about 27mpg).  Once pitched then the hybrid will come into it's own anyway.

Also been trying to get some info about anyone who bought a Rav 4 hybrid for towing from our local dealer, still waiting for that.

Posted on 20/08/2020 21:08

Well as promised Den and Ann

We have been back from the New Forest for a while, it was steep learning curve, we had time on our hands so travelled around 50 mph ish, being new to all this we we expecting 17 mpg and the PHEV running out of steam, nothing could be further from the truth.

The journey was 178 miles each way, we had a full charge before starting each journey on the way down we travelled 14 mile in EV mode (electric) before joining the M6 Toll Road, we had 6 miles charge left, we then pressed the charge button, the engine was now running just enough to supply electricity to the front motor, any excess energy went to recharge the batteries. When we hit a steepish incline the energy display showed electric being supplied to the rear motors, we soon learnt on the way down when approaching roundabout/ junctions switch the charge mode of and the batteries will power the motors, when travelling in built up areas just use the EV mode, the press charge when over 40 mph when on the highway. On the way down used 30.73 litres and average fuel consumption 26.6mpg.

On the way home we were a bit wiser we pressed the charge button when the battery was depleted just above 50%, it was pouring with rain requiring the heater to clear the windscreen 50% of the journey, on the way back we travelling around 55mph plus, the PHEV seemed a lot happier or the car engine was starting to loosen up, we used archived 27.6 mpg after filling up to brim.

We used no fuel whilst on holiday just a few £2.00 charges. Since coming back from holiday we have not filled up just running of electric spending just over £10.00 on electric. Following the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV forums the trick is to use the charge mode for majority of the towing. We are going back down to the New Forest in September the Outlander PHEV has now over 1600 miles on the clock so I am hoping I can achieve 28 mpg.

replied on 21/08/2020 08:46

Posted on 21/08/2020 08:08 by cyberyacht

Doresn't sound particularly impressive. Over a six year period, overall I managed around 32-33mpg with a 2L Kuga towing 1350Kg.

Posted on 21/08/2020 08:46

With my present car the mpg improved markedly over the first few years from new.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook