Motorhome towing a car advice please

MeandHim2019 replied on 29/08/2019 13:05

Posted on 29/08/2019 13:05

WE currently have an Abbey GTS 419 but have decided to seriously consider changing to a motorhome for various reasons but, as I use a pride Jazzy go-go powered wheelchair that needs to come everywhere we go - as would a car with a large enough boot to hold it and hopefully keep the hoist we have for it in our Ford Kuga (405 ltr boot capacity). 

so, my question is, given that the boot-space is the kicker, is there a new motorhome which would not require an HGV licence that could tow something like a Nissan Juke (411 ltr boot capacity - same as a Kuga) with gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 1760kg 

or

a Qashquai (430 ltr boot) with a GVW of 1960kg and what weight motorhome would we need to consider?

or

is anyone aware of a smaller car than those above, with the size of boot mentioned above?

I‘m really grateful in anticipation of your help, thanks.

Tinwheeler replied on 29/08/2019 14:27

Posted on 29/08/2019 14:27

Tbh, I seriously doubt you will find a MH with that sort of towing capacity. The cars you list are weighty even without the load of your powered chair onboard. Don’t forget that fitting a towbar will reduce your payload and increase the load on the rear axle. There is also the weight of the trailer or A-frame to consider and, if you intend using it overseas, it will need to be a trailer to keep you on the right side of the law.

At the moment there are many more questions than answers, not least whether you really mean HGV licence or the Cat C1 requirement for driving vehicles over 3500kg.

I wish you well and someone else may come along with some ideas but, frankly, I’m not optimistic that you’ll find what you’re looking for.

cyberyacht replied on 29/08/2019 15:43

Posted on 29/08/2019 15:43

Most MH with a 3500Kg limit have a towing capacity of about 2000KG so it would be very tight based on your figures, particularly if you whack it on a trailer. It does depend also on your licence as to the weight of trailer you are allowed to tow.

Tinwheeler replied on 29/08/2019 15:46

Posted on 29/08/2019 15:46

The towing limit can be much less if the MH has an Alko chassis extension, CY. There are so many factors to take into consideration.

ATDel replied on 29/08/2019 19:15

Posted on 29/08/2019 19:15

We tow our caravan with the Motorhome a couple of times a year, the caravan is a twin axle lunar weighing in at max 1800kg. The max tow weight for our Motorhome is 2000kg

TonyIshUK replied on 29/08/2019 20:16

Posted on 29/08/2019 20:16

You might be able to tow it using an A frame probably not if it is automatic gearbox.  

I suggest you ask the question on the MMM Motorhome forum. There are quite a few trailers and toaders there, that would give advice.

Towing that weight would need a 3 litre diesel , I would suggest, but then you will probably find few 3.5 ton mhomes because the 3 litre market tends to lend itself to 3.8 ton and above, these requiring different licences and medical checks if you have some illnesses or over 70 years old.

rgds

ps. As an after thought, you might consider a Panel van type conversion that would allow access to the rear and sufficient storage to take the mobility scooter, under a bed and also allow parking in most car parks if not to long.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook