MOTs, Servicing and Hab Checks

cyberyacht replied on 31/01/2021 11:27

Posted on 31/01/2021 11:27

I picked up on a thread on Motorhome Fun forum about someone fined for taking his MH 75 miles for a service & hab check. They fined both him and his passenger £200.

MOTs have not had an extension period granted this time round. Servicing and Hab checks are a bit more of a grey area although it seems when enquiries are made, a definitive answer is not given. The distance does make this rather questionable although it may be that there was nowhere nearer able/willing to undertake the work. It does, IMHO, seem somewhat harsh, akin to the "coffee in the park" incident. Taking leisure vehicles for these purposes do make them a bit of a sitting duck whilst white van man/ private drivers seem to be traversing the country with impunity. Is this fair?

replied on 03/02/2021 10:10

Posted on 02/02/2021 22:12 by EmilysDad

..  I don’t know if you have yet noticed but the roads especially where I live are as busy as ever.

Exactly. During Lockdown 1 I saw next to no traffic going to & from work but now, there's loads of it.

I'm not saying that's right .... but there is next to no difference in 'normal' traffic & now

Posted on 03/02/2021 10:10

Noted lack of traffic here in Flintshire. Passed our temporary Rainbow Hospital and they have been doing there for a few weeks. Saw 3 drive out going to the shop and 4 driving out on way back and so they seem busy

LLM replied on 03/02/2021 12:29

Posted on 03/02/2021 12:29

Just got back from a few hours assisting at our local jabbing hub.  Lots of concerned looking people going in and smiling people coming out smile.

Thinking of asking for danger money.  I have learnt:

• never to stand to close to any over 70's driving.  They have an uncanny ability to make a vehicle go in any direction except the one you (or they) expect.
  • never direct whilst stand in front as they are parking.  Speed control is not their strong point.
  • wearing a very hi viz suit (gloves, hat, jacket and trousers) makes you invisible. 

laughing 

SeasideBill replied on 03/02/2021 12:35

Posted on 03/02/2021 12:29 by LLM

Just got back from a few hours assisting at our local jabbing hub.  Lots of concerned looking people going in and smiling people coming out smile.

Thinking of asking for danger money.  I have learnt:

• never to stand to close to any over 70's driving.  They have an uncanny ability to make a vehicle go in any direction except the one you (or they) expect.
  • never direct whilst stand in front as they are parking.  Speed control is not their strong point.
  • wearing a very hi viz suit (gloves, hat, jacket and trousers) makes you invisible. 

laughing 

Posted on 03/02/2021 12:35

I think some elderly folks have simply forgotten how to drive - the trip out to the vaccination centre could be the first outing in the car since March 🥴

LLM replied on 03/02/2021 12:46

Posted on 03/02/2021 12:35 by SeasideBill

I think some elderly folks have simply forgotten how to drive - the trip out to the vaccination centre could be the first outing in the car since March 🥴

Posted on 03/02/2021 12:46

I have had quite a few say "this is our first trip out since..."  Worrying really as I think some could do with a visit to the opticians laughing.  Never mind, it's good fun if you don't weaken.

replied on 03/02/2021 13:04

Posted on 03/02/2021 12:46 by LLM

I have had quite a few say "this is our first trip out since..."  Worrying really as I think some could do with a visit to the opticians laughing.  Never mind, it's good fun if you don't weaken.

Posted on 03/02/2021 13:04

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

LLM replied on 03/02/2021 13:59

Posted on 03/02/2021 13:04 by

You and all the rest are doing a great job,when I drove up the road wondering where the vaccination place was and more to the point where to park as its on a main road  was I glad when a chap in "high viz"  flagged me down and pointed to the entry where I had to go.

Posted on 03/02/2021 13:59

Congratulations, you passed.  You saw him.  I expect he was very grateful for that laughinglaughing.  

It's the youngsters that are doing the really hard work. I know of three, one young pilot, and two cabin crew, all now out of work.  They seem to be doing around 12 hour days and doing it with such good grace, laughter and fun.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 03/02/2021 14:57

Posted on 03/02/2021 12:35 by SeasideBill

Posted on 03/02/2021 14:57

What age is elderly?, 70yrs old is elderly to a 30/40yrs old. If a person is  70yrs old is a 90/100yrs old then elderly🤷🏻‍♂️🤔(serious question👍🏻)

JVB66 replied on 03/02/2021 17:26

Posted on 02/02/2021 21:56 by davetommo

I don’t see anywhere where it says essential vehicle maintenance is not allowed. I have a vehicle with a euro 6 engine and DPF, going 3 miles to the supermarket all the time does not do it any good. So every couple of weeks I take it for a round trip of about 20 miles on the motorways where I live to stop the filter clogging and having a costly repair. I pass lots of police cars and have never yet been stopped. I don’t know if you have yet noticed but the roads especially where I live are as busy as ever.

Posted on 03/02/2021 17:26

The Mot on our Diesel car is due on 22nd of this month which i have a booking for that day,  since last Sep it has only been out  locally on  essential journies ,so on the day of the MOT i shall take it for a a decent run on the A1M to clear the exhaust system,and warm the engine

It has a private reg that would also show as a worcester registration?

Am i legally allowed ?

MikeyA replied on 03/02/2021 17:49

Posted on 03/02/2021 14:57 by Rocky 2 buckets

What age is elderly?, 70yrs old is elderly to a 30/40yrs old. If a person is  70yrs old is a 90/100yrs old then elderly🤷🏻‍♂️🤔(serious question👍🏻)

Posted on 03/02/2021 17:49

Anyone 10 years older than me is quite old, 15yrs older is old, 20 years is elderly. laughing

Whilst it may not be entirely accurate I would consider a person who is elderly to be more frail than a person who is simply old.

LLM replied on 03/02/2021 18:05

Posted on 03/02/2021 17:26 by JVB66

The Mot on our Diesel car is due on 22nd of this month which i have a booking for that day,  since last Sep it has only been out  locally on  essential journies ,so on the day of the MOT i shall take it for a a decent run on the A1M to clear the exhaust system,and warm the engine

It has a private reg that would also show as a worcester registration?

Am i legally allowed ?

Posted on 03/02/2021 18:05

If your MOT is pre-booked - Yes - provided you got directly to and from the test centre.  If your tester is any good he or she will make sure it correctly warmed and could legally take it for a run.

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook