Switching electric off for winter storage

ScreenName3BA4BC47B8 replied on 26/01/2021 15:04

Posted on 26/01/2021 15:04

Hi. My problem is: our van is a 2020 swift challenger 560. It has a solar panel and Sargent alarm. Do I need to switch the black power button and the green charger button to 'off' for winter storage? I have left them both in the 'on' position, thinking this will allow a trickle charge to the battery and power for the alarm. Or should I switch them off? Many thanks

Matthews1963 replied on 26/01/2021 18:44

Posted on 26/01/2021 18:44

Yes switch it off or it will run the battery flat. Solar panel will still charge battery and Alarm/ Tracker module. We have a 2019 Challenger 560 and left it switched on first time battery lasted about 2 weeks before sending a message that battery was flat. We do pay the monitoring / tracking fee. Once I knew what the problem was the recharged battery was good for 9 months before we used the van again after the first COVID lockdown. 

Tigi replied on 26/01/2021 18:47

Posted on 26/01/2021 18:47

They should be in the OFF position. the charger button has no influence on the Solar Panel which is fully automatic and will charge the battery on all but the dullest days. The Black Button shuts off all 12V supplies except to the alarm to prevent  the battery being discharged by e.g. the TV Aerial not being switched off in the wardrobe. The battery from my experience will be topped up without issue by the Solar Panel. You can access the battery condition via the Swift command App or new Website.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook