Travel between N Ireland and GB

retiredbeep replied on 12/01/2021 16:19

Posted on 12/01/2021 16:19

We have already seen the discussions reference pet passports but how will caravan and motorhome owners overcome import restrictions when travelling between the North of Ireland and Great Britain.  Will having meat or dairy products in your outfit fall foul of the new regulations. There is still a lot to be sorted out and presently it is all a disaster. Our annual trip from N I for a month each year may be in doubt With lockdown I don't suppose the system has not yet been tested. But it is something to be prepared for. I have two small dogs so I will have the added expense this year for Pet Passports and appropriate health certificates but hopefully difficulties will get sorted out.

Ardsboy11 replied on 14/01/2021 12:49

Posted on 14/01/2021 11:12 by RowenaBCAMC

Hi everyone, I've forwarded this discussion onto a colleague and hope to be able to update with advice soon. 

Posted on 14/01/2021 12:49

Thank you Rowena we need clarity as it won’t be long before travel companies will need payment.

Tinwheeler replied on 14/01/2021 13:07

Posted on 14/01/2021 13:07

Meanwhile, you could check other sources for info. The NI govt website, the Gov.UK website and ferry company websites could be places to start.

Wherenext replied on 14/01/2021 13:44

Posted on 14/01/2021 13:44

Just received an email from the club about travelling after Brexit. Most of the information is in the public domain but generally they point you to various Governments websites for further advice. Nothing mentioned about Northern Ireland though I'm afraid. 

eurortraveller replied on 14/01/2021 14:44

Posted on 14/01/2021 14:44

Retiredbeep, the real nonsense seems to be that you can bring your dogs from NI to GB without a pet passport or an animal health certificate but you do need them to take the dogs back home again. 

retiredbeep replied on 14/01/2021 18:39

Posted on 14/01/2021 18:39

I also believe the required health certificate only lasts 10 days meaning we will have to find a vet while on holiday to get this carried out. The changes announced seem completely ridiculous so far. How can you call having food in your fridge as being importing goods If you eat it just before leaving are you still importing in your stomach. You will eat it on your holiday not giving it to someone else to eat. If the decision makers had to carry out the results of their arrangements they would take a different view on the rules they agree to.

eurortraveller replied on 14/01/2021 20:25

Posted on 14/01/2021 20:25

Sorry, can't help you with regulations on food, but a vet in N.I can issue pet passports for your dogs - and they will be valid to get you and them back home from GB to NI. So there is no need to get an animal health certificate while you are over here in England.  Have a look at pet travel section on UK government website for confirmation, or speak to your vet at home. I hope this helps. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook