What's been your favourite holiday so far?

RowenaBCAMC replied on 13/08/2019 11:37

Posted on 13/08/2019 11:37

Just wondering what everyone's favourite trips have been so far this year and why? 

Mine I think would have to be Longleat. Despite the weather, torrential rain and the fact that I had a limp from taking part in the MacMillan Mighty Hike (26 miles on the South Downs Way) the day before (I fractured my toe from tripping over so much!!) we had a fabulous time. Our awning collapsed in the night because we had so much rain but hearing the sea lions and lions on the Club Site was magical and Sam (my three year old son) loved it. A lovely site and perfect for families. We also visited Wookey Hole and loved exploring the caves - I could not get enough of the Wookey Hole Cheese! Feeding the giraffes at Longleat has to be a highlight of the year and Sam still wears the safari hat we bought there and asks to go back to 'Longleap Club Site'. 

Photos below are exploring the bug hotel at Longleat Club Site and waiting to go into the caves at Wookey Hole. 

brue replied on 15/08/2019 18:55

Posted on 15/08/2019 18:55

We had a lovely spring break at Steamer Quay this year. We love Totnes and the Dart so we always enjoy our stays there. My Devon ancestors came from that side of the river in Bridgetown. This time round I called in to the archive section in the back yard of the ancient Totnes museum building and the volunteers looked up my family. No wonder I couldn't find them, in Bridgetown they were all hatched and dispatched out at Berry Pomeroy church. Apart from that we did our usual river trip up to Dartmouth and had a very relaxing stay. 

Tammygirl replied on 15/08/2019 19:53

Posted on 15/08/2019 19:53

We've only done one trip with the caravan this year but it was for 8 weeks. We had good weather for most of the trip after the first few days of rain and thunderstorms.

France was the destination and we manged to cover a fair bit of it. The Med coast, Loire, The Lot but the favourite has to be the Alps, sitting on a site looking out at the lake in front of your pitch with the snow covered Alps in the background has to be as near perfect as it gets.

Add to that miles and miles of safe cycle tracks in wonderful countryside. smile

Next trip is to France then Spain for 3 months so hoping its as good as our Spring break.

paul56 replied on 16/08/2019 14:24

Posted on 16/08/2019 14:24

Just come back from a river cruise on the Danube...bit more expensive than the caravan hols! 

Best caravan break this year was down to Monmouth in South Wales as we'd never explored that area before at all and unexplored places are getting fewer and fewer as we get older!

moulesy replied on 18/08/2019 15:39

Posted on 18/08/2019 15:39

Hard to pick out  a "favourite" trip. Any time away from home routine is good. I had a few days solo (well, me and the dog!) at Cirencester at the start of the season.  Great as always with so much Cotswold walking right on the doorstep.

2 new CL visits also stand out - Goatfell Farm near Leek and Wortley Hall near Sheffield. 

Last week in the Forest of Dean was good - haven't been to that area for some years now.

Not a caravan break, for obvious reasons, but our fortnight in Sri Lanka will stay long in the memory, especially in view of the horrific bombing incidents which happened little over a month after our visit.

Planning for the next trip is already well in hand! smile

replied on 18/08/2019 15:54

Posted on 18/08/2019 15:54

Under the Cornish Sea with my action cam on my trunk waste band string. I do hold it now and again!

Under the Cornish Sea.

Later on theres me with a snorkel in my gob

replied on 18/08/2019 17:53

Posted on 18/08/2019 16:46 by cyberyacht

Not quite 'Blue Planet 2' is it? wink I must say I admire you for swimming without a wetsuit in Cornwall. Perhaps it's a bit warmer than Fistral beach.

Posted on 18/08/2019 17:53

Decided to be Butch!

Wait till you see the Par beach one I will put up later, very very cold, no wet suit, left it behind, so cold.

No laptop to edit the video, 

Dont start, ordered a laptop to store, 40 miles away  pick it up Saturday, so much for technology making life easier!

Pah.

KeefySher replied on 23/08/2019 12:48

Posted on 23/08/2019 12:48

Each of our trips have been brilliant.

Easter at Baltic Wharf for our annual remembrance of father in law who passed just before Easter 2017. We take MiL out to the seaside for fish & chips and ice cream, and catch up with rest of the family. Except for the leaking caravan water system due to useless fittings that required disassembly of the bathroom to reassemble it.

Whitsun at Black Knowl gave us family time to explore the New Forest by bicycle. Fish & Chips at the seaside, there is a theme.

A weekend on a CL near Bristol to make a younger family members birthday treat including a Twilight visit to Bristol Zoo.

We swapped the annual visit to CountryFile Live at Blenheim for a cruise that took us to Shetland as a stop. Went past the campsite at Brae. We did look at going to Shetland for a week or so, but the ferry from Aberdeen is over £800 with the caravan. Anyone know a less expensive route? We then went to Iceland, partly to surprise a Brother in Law who lives in Akureyri. We knocked on his door and walked in. On a couple of excursions we saw campsites which has sewn a seed to go to Iceland with the caravan for say a month. Only ferry found so far is from Denmark via Faroes at €9000. We saw several 'NL' & 'D' registered motorhomes there, there must be a cheaper way.

A short break to end the school summer holidays is booked.

Still enjoying this caravanning lark, despite the loo requiring a new pump and damp found in our flagship heap of crap from Swift. Still, the cracked rear panel was repaired at the recent service. A new battery box that is the cause of the damp and another battery box door will be fitted under warranty, hopefully before our Xmas break away that is booked for Baltic Wharf.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook