Advertising not recommending?

TonyBurton replied on 20/07/2019 16:48

Posted on 20/07/2019 16:48

I thought Club Together was a good place to recommend places that have given us good service or made our caravan trip more enjoyable. I was frustrated to find my discussion on sailing on the River Fal was edited because I mentioned the name of the boat hire company. Can we not mention  suppliers or restaurants or local attractions by name?

Community Manager Comment:

Hi there, please see my comment https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/welcome-hobby-talk/how-to-use-club-together/advertising-ot-recomending/?p=5 and please feel free to email communitymanager@camc.com with info so we can edit your original post. Many thanks. 

EmilysDad replied on 23/07/2019 11:27

Posted on 23/07/2019 11:23 by Cornersteady

I don't have shares in Aldi, Fishers, or Meindl boots.

Posted on 23/07/2019 11:27

So can I not mention that which started life as Associated Dairies because I pay into its share scheme via SWMBO ..... sealed Or a manufacture of Beanz 

Tinwheeler replied on 23/07/2019 12:42

Posted on 23/07/2019 10:42 by RowenaBCAMC

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the delay in reply. I have been out of the office. 

Recommendations are more than welcome on the forum if there is no obvious connection with the person recommending the business. It may be that the post in question the moderator thought there was a connection. We are always happy to review so if the person drops us an email to explain they were just recommending and don't have any connection to the business we can edit if needed. 

FYI in the guidelines we state: 

Do not post anything that could be interpreted as self-publicity, including spamming and advertising (as well as pyramid selling or chain letters, selling or soliciting).

I hope this helps clarify and please do drop me an email communitymanager@camc.com if you would like me to review. 

Posted on 23/07/2019 12:42

Thanks for the explanation, Ro. I’m pleased common sense has prevailed.

Wherenext replied on 23/07/2019 13:08

Posted on 23/07/2019 13:08

So Tony will be back on in a minute to explain that he didn't realise being the M.D. of the boat hire company that he couldn't recommend it to us members.smile

TonyBurton replied on 24/07/2019 22:06

Posted on 23/07/2019 13:08 by Wherenext

So Tony will be back on in a minute to explain that he didn't realise being the M.D. of the boat hire company that he couldn't recommend it to us members.smile

Posted on 24/07/2019 22:06

I don't have any connection with Mylor Boat Hire. They are quite unusual in that they are one of only a very few hire firms I can find that hire out small sailing cruisers on the sea. I also mentioned in my original post that they hire out motor boats and open day boats. Perhaps that was too much information. It was the main reason we travelled all the way to Falmouth from Ipswich. As I said in my post, Falmouth must be one of the best sailing  locations for small boats.

Tinwheeler replied on 24/07/2019 22:20

Posted on 24/07/2019 22:20

I think it would be fitting now if the bold type moderator edit was removed from your OP, Tony. That would remove any possible vestige of doubt.

Perhaps someone will report my post to help achieve this end.

Cornersteady replied on 24/07/2019 22:40

Posted on 24/07/2019 22:20 by Tinwheeler

I think it would be fitting now if the bold type moderator edit was removed from your OP, Tony. That would remove any possible vestige of doubt.

Perhaps someone will report my post to help achieve this end.

Posted on 24/07/2019 22:40

+1 and done.

Wherenext replied on 25/07/2019 14:33

Posted on 24/07/2019 22:06 by TonyBurton

I don't have any connection with Mylor Boat Hire. They are quite unusual in that they are one of only a very few hire firms I can find that hire out small sailing cruisers on the sea. I also mentioned in my original post that they hire out motor boats and open day boats. Perhaps that was too much information. It was the main reason we travelled all the way to Falmouth from Ipswich. As I said in my post, Falmouth must be one of the best sailing  locations for small boats.

Posted on 25/07/2019 14:33

Tony, my post was merely jocular in nature and not intended to doubt your impartiality, hence the smiley at the end of it. Apologies if you were unintentionally offended.

lornalou1 replied on 25/07/2019 21:47

Posted on 23/07/2019 11:27 by EmilysDad

So can I not mention that which started life as Associated Dairies because I pay into its share scheme via SWMBO ..... sealed Or a manufacture of Beanz 

Posted on 25/07/2019 21:47

Only if there are 57 varieties. wink

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook