Classified Ad - Email Scam. Sellers beware!

Rollybrick replied on 25/08/2015 12:49

Posted on 25/08/2015 12:49

Hi

I'm currently advertising my Volkswagen Up tow car for sale on the Caravan Club classified web site. Yesterday I received a couple of e-mail enquires that are clearly very suspect - so I thought I would alert other members in the hope they don’t get caught out…… 

The first came from "Frank Anderson <faan90s@gmail.com>" and was sent at 18:57 

I am very keen. How i wish i could come for viewing and inspection as am currently out of the country and I'm Marine engineer and i am presently on a project contract which will end in a couple of months and i want it picked up before i get back.I can't even make calls due to the lack of reception on the sea but I'm able to access my mail through my laptop and my only quickest payment option is PayPal and I would like to pay you using Paypal due to my inability to make a bank deposit which is safer for me. Kindly send me a Paypal payment invoice or create an account with Paypal on www.paypal.co.uk if you don't have one. I will make a solid pick up arrangement with my transport agent who will be coming over for pick up once you receive full payment into your Paypal account. Have a nice day. Few more photos will be appreciated as well.I look forward to reading from you with the information below. 

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :

Full name:

Firm Price:

Zip code for pickup: 

The second came from "Gill James <gillyjim200@gmail.com>" at 18:58 

I am very keen. How i wish i could come for viewing and inspection as am currently out of the country ATM and i want it picked up before i get back, though i will be back in couple of weeks. I would like to pay you using paypal due to my inability to make a bank deposit which is safer for me. Kindly send me a paypal payment invoice or create an account with paypal on www.paypal.com if you dont have one. I will make a solid pick up arrangement with my transport agent who will be coming over for pick up once you receive full payment into your paypal account. Have a nice day. Few more photos will be appreciated 

This is a classic scam - and if you get caught out could lose you thousands of pounds! Looking at the 2 e-mails there is an obvious similarity. Both "people" are out of the country and want to use PayPal to pay for the purchase. Some inspection of the e-mail header etc shows there IP general location as being the USA (hence one of them asking for a Zip Code).

Frank Anderson's location is Mountain View, California (I put a screen clipping in but is would not display)

Gill James location is also is Mountain View, California

Hope this helps to keep you safe!

Rollybrick

Nick Savill replied on 01/03/2019 15:29

Posted on 01/03/2019 15:29

Thank you for posting this.  I have just had the exact same email from Frank Anderson to a trailer tent I am advertising.

terrynliz replied on 15/03/2020 14:02

Posted on 15/03/2020 14:02

Just to bump this thread, I'm currently selling my caravan and received the following email:-

Thank you for the Response,I am okay with the condition Likewise your asking price is quite reasonable and affordable considering others I've seen lately , I'll have it for the price as I'm interested and consider it sold as seen as I’m getting this as a birthday gift for my Daughter who has always wanted to have it. I work with the British Military and presently at RAF Alconbury which is why I can’t come for the viewing. My Mode of payment is PayPal cause i don't have access to my bank account online since am out of town on job duties, but i have it attached to my PayPal account. Since I'm requesting thistransaction to be done via PayPal, I will be responsible for all the PayPal fees/charges on this transaction, if you don't have an account with PayPal, it's pretty easy, safe an secure to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.co.uk . I hope we can complete this transaction as soon as possible. Less I forgot,I wll not be able to view due to nature of job but I have a Mover that will come for pickup once payment is cleared in your PayPal account and they will be handling the title for me. I look forward to hearing from you with your PayPal information as requested below. Your PayPal e-Mail Address : Full name: Firm Price: Address for Pick Up: Phone Number: Awaiting your response asap

Phone Nr: 07398239951

Please take note of the wording and beware.

Rubytuesday replied on 20/03/2020 15:29

Posted on 20/03/2020 15:29

Well well , similar emails 3 different names one blind ! One just had heart bypass ! Can't off hand remember third one , but all reason's why they couldn't collect or view ,

all wanted PayPal account details , one wanted me to pay money for courier into some account or other and they would refund it to me through PayPal , must admit I'm quite nieve of this sort of thing but I was so pleased I checked it out online and with the police

with the police's help  a few emails back for and supposedly arranging courier day and time , the police were happy , and so was we , could have list a few pounds 😱

RoyJenks replied on 26/10/2020 14:17

Posted on 26/10/2020 14:17

Hi.   I am selling my car on Autotrader and just had exactly the same email from Frank Anderson <faan1981s@gmail.com>.     BEWARE IT'S A SCAM

lornalou1 replied on 27/10/2020 11:38

Posted on 20/03/2020 15:29 by Rubytuesday

Well well , similar emails 3 different names one blind ! One just had heart bypass ! Can't off hand remember third one , but all reason's why they couldn't collect or view ,

all wanted PayPal account details , one wanted me to pay money for courier into some account or other and they would refund it to me through PayPal , must admit I'm quite nieve of this sort of thing but I was so pleased I checked it out online and with the police

with the police's help  a few emails back for and supposedly arranging courier day and time , the police were happy , and so was we , could have list a few pounds 😱

Posted on 27/10/2020 11:38

I had the same a couple of years ago and the chap was on contract abroad and wanted me to send the awning ( paid by me ) to italy for his sons birthday and would forward the full payment on reciept of goods. I just replied and said this is being forwarded to the police and with a few choice words i never had a reply.  There's only one word for these scammers, SCUM. 

mendipwalker replied on 27/10/2020 11:45

Posted on 27/10/2020 11:45

Agreed, must be a scam but at what point do they steal your money? Is the aim to access and empty your PayPal account, get money 'for a courier' or <experience PayPal problems and need Bank details instead>?

A family member has had problems selling on ebay and accepting paypal payments to post item- the fraud there is around the Dispute process, claiming <Goods not as represented> and getting refund after which good luck trying to recover the item you had sent them. She now only sells anything <Cash on collection> and carefully checks for forged banknotes. Is this scam similarly using the PP Dispute process some way, I wonder? I wouldnt advise stringing them along to find out.....

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 27/10/2020 13:29

Posted on 27/10/2020 11:45 by mendipwalker

Agreed, must be a scam but at what point do they steal your money? Is the aim to access and empty your PayPal account, get money 'for a courier' or <experience PayPal problems and need Bank details instead>?

A family member has had problems selling on ebay and accepting paypal payments to post item- the fraud there is around the Dispute process, claiming <Goods not as represented> and getting refund after which good luck trying to recover the item you had sent them. She now only sells anything <Cash on collection> and carefully checks for forged banknotes. Is this scam similarly using the PP Dispute process some way, I wonder? I wouldnt advise stringing them along to find out.....

Posted on 27/10/2020 13:29

I use PayPal extensively & I have made a claim & got full refund from PP. In fact I don’t order anything unless it has the PayPal option. I’ve suffered using Amazon, they promised a refund but did not give one. Amazon are notorious for ensuring you can’t progress a complaint.

replied on 27/10/2020 13:40

Posted on 27/10/2020 13:29 by Rocky 2 buckets

I use PayPal extensively & I have made a claim & got full refund from PP. In fact I don’t order anything unless it has the PayPal option. I’ve suffered using Amazon, they promised a refund but did not give one. Amazon are notorious for ensuring you can’t progress a complaint.

Posted on 27/10/2020 13:40

Never had a problem with sellers on Amazon in that regard. 

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 27/10/2020 15:02

Posted on 27/10/2020 13:40 by

Never had a problem with sellers on Amazon in that regard. 

Posted on 27/10/2020 15:02

I used it a lot for very many things at one time. I know others that use it heavily with very little trouble too. Mine was a breaking of trust with Amazon not a seller ET. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook