Awning help

Abby111 replied on 19/08/2019 12:29

Posted on 19/08/2019 12:29

Hi, we’ve just bought our first caravan and have just about decided which awning were going for. Just wondering whether to wait until the winter if there are good discounts to be had out of season though? We could probably manage for a few trips without one if we’re going to save by buying in the winter. Does anyone know if this is likely or do prices tend to stay quite similar through the year? TIA. 

MikeyA replied on 19/08/2019 12:46

Posted on 19/08/2019 12:46

I wouldn't rush into buying an awning as there is so much variety. Your first decision is do you want a full or porch awning. This is probably determined by the number of people and length of site stays. My suggestion is to have a look at what others on sites you visit are using before purchasing. You do not have to buy new, many used awnings are about at dealers and on Ebay/Preloved etc.  Many CAMC members have moved onto air awnings for "supposedly" easy to erect. We find our Kampa  poled porch awning very easy and quick to erect.

As I said take your time and buy an awning that suits you in your situation.

replied on 19/08/2019 15:09

Posted on 19/08/2019 15:09

Thing is, you might want 2 awnings.

We have a full awning and a cheapo porch awning.

Bad weather holidays up goes the cheap one, if it breaks, who cares had my money out of it, and its light, small, (incedently has one pole goes up by me sub 20 minutes) so I can pack away wet and let it dry out at home, good bit of kit.

Price, if cheap go second hand, loads of them, as for discounts, the dealer awnings I have bought in the past, nope not interested, bought this year a Bradcot Residentia full steel poled jobby, no discount and it was a in stock only because a customer had a change of mind, did get 10% off any accessories I bought that day, so carpet, extra rock pegs, bits and Bob's, little victory.

Had Air, think its personal choice, I'm for pole at moment, until relief valves are fitted then maybe back to air.

MikeyA replied on 19/08/2019 16:54

Posted on 19/08/2019 16:54

Abby,  The first thing to decide is do you really want an awning at all or do you think that is what you must have to be a proper caravanner!

We never erect our porch awning unless the weather is good enough to sit out in it - so as you can see it is whatever suits you. 

We don't have a full awning but do have a fantastic sun canopy for when we are touring abroad.

richardandros replied on 21/08/2019 07:29

Posted on 21/08/2019 07:29

The answer to your question is yes! We have a Kampa 390 Grande which is a great awning but if we have to pack it away wet, it’s a big lump to dry afterwards. I therefore also bought a lightweight Sunncamp Air 390 for winter use - and in an end is season sale, got £50 knocked off it. I thought £350 for a 390 awning was a bargain. It’s very easy to dry as compared to the Kampa and also a lot easier to clean if it gets muddy etc.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook