Chris & Diane

Fass replied on 05/02/2021 21:28

Posted on 05/02/2021 21:28

Hi all,

We're a newly retired couple and have just bought our first motorhome. We've hired motorhomes or stayed on fixed caravan sites in the past, for the odd holiday. Wanted to do this for a few years. Can't wait for lockdown to be lifted. Plan to tour the UK and when we're happy we've got the knack, visit Europe. We found the staff at CAMC sites were really friendly and helpful, so joining up was one of the first things we have done. We're slowly starting to stock up on what we think are the essentials. Other than having enough beer/wine, do you have any tips for us newbies? Diane is particularly interested in storage solutions.

Thanks

DavidKlyne replied on 06/02/2021 12:57

Posted on 06/02/2021 12:57

Welcome to motorhoming. Lots of things have been highlighted that you might need although before spending lots of money I think I would get a few trips under your belt as these will highlight where the needs are. With regard to storage it might be worth having a look at the Really Useful Boxes website. We use these in our van and have found them well made and there is a massive selection of sizes. Our motorhome didn't have shelves in lots of the overhead cupboards so we find these stact easily on the shelves. Whilst you are unlikely to find the entire range on sale in shops I have found some of the popular sizes in the likes of Morrisons and the DIY sheds.

David 

JVB66 replied on 06/02/2021 13:46

Posted on 06/02/2021 13:46

Welcome to the ever expanding it seems world of LVs cool

1 when in the Uk you may find with the big increase in Staycations ,sites  not just either of the clubs will be getting busier especially at peak times so if possible book.as early  as you cansurprised

2 Before  thinking of buying any add goodies for your LV try and get it weighed , to ensure that what you consider essential?  does not compromise your load capacity ,wink

We all have a room/space full of at the time "essential?"buysundecided

DSB replied on 12/02/2021 17:01

Posted on 12/02/2021 17:01

Welcome to Club Together Chris and Diane.  Look forward to reading how you get on with it all.

On the subject of storeage solutions, I tend to agree with the post further up - don't take too much stuff with you.  I remember the stuff we used to take, especially when the kids were with us - we even used to take an 'awning fridge', which I certainly wouldn't do these days (even if I were going to warmer places in Europe.  

It might be worth looking at some of the stuff produced by Colapz.  Although a lot of the stuff may be more useful for the caravanner, its certainly worth a look....

https://colapz.co.uk/

David

Fass replied on 02/03/2021 19:26

Posted on 02/03/2021 19:26

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Lots to think about as we get nearer to freedom.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook