Fiat Brake Switch

Appache replied on 12/11/2019 19:31

Posted on 12/11/2019 19:31

Our Autotrail Imala is 2yrs 10days old.

It is now on its 3rd Brake Switch.

The age of van is because warranty has now finished.

Brake switch last  fitted August 14th, as warranty elapsed we now have to pay £328.09.

Trying to fight this.Has anyone else had brake switch problems?

ABM replied on 12/11/2019 20:38

Posted on 12/11/2019 20:38

Appache,  I've just finished repairing a new piece of wooden furniture, so I think I'll be safe when I say --  My Fiat Duccy is almost 8 years old now with no signs of any brake problems what so ever ( reaching out & fondling my repairs  wink  )

MichaelT replied on 13/11/2019 08:59

Posted on 13/11/2019 08:59

As yours is a UK based conversion I think you get 3 years warranty?

If not is it an easy job, can you do it yourself, they seem to be a few quid to buy?

Brake Light Switch

SeasideBill replied on 13/11/2019 09:35

Posted on 13/11/2019 09:35

If we are talking just a brake light switch, charging £328 to replace seems criminal! I’ve never needed to replace one but presumably it’s located somewhere alongside the bracket securing the brake pedal?

Is the vehicle automatic? If so, the switch will act as a sensor and maybe more complex to replace requiring a bit of electronic wizardry to calibrate or reset vehicle fault code?

EmilysDad replied on 13/11/2019 10:50

Posted on 13/11/2019 10:50

I've replaced & refitted a few brake light switches on different cars. Modern vehicles tend to have a single switch with 2 sets of contacts inside ... normally open & normally closed. Generally they sit somewhere above the driver's feet and when the pedal is pressed allows a plunger to extend to switch on brake lights and tell some electrickery that the pedal is pressed. All the switches I've fitted have been a simple twist to remove. It's not uncommon to find the brake switch above the passenger's feet if a manufacture has left the master cylinder on the left hand side of the car when they converted it to right hand drive (if you see a Peugeot 205 with its brake lights on all the time it's because a big footed passenger has kicked the switch off)

I'm very surprised that a 2 yr old vehicle is on its 3rd switch though. I suspect a fault elsewhere

Appache replied on 13/11/2019 11:07

Posted on 13/11/2019 11:07

Thanks for all your replies.

Autotrail with Fiat engines only have 2year warranty...unbelievable. 

Brake switch problem puts engine into Limp Mode.Engine is manual.

Price was because we were charged over £100 for diagnostic check!!!!

Husband disabled so unable to carry out repair.

Now waiting for Fiat to get back to me re. they said would look into a contribution.

Just found out we now have a recall ie Brake cable and brake clips..Spoke to Fiat and this is not related they said..

Going to have to get it done and pay..Only just paid for Service and Habitation on it November 5th..Not a good end to the year 🥺🥺

SeasideBill replied on 13/11/2019 11:52

Posted on 13/11/2019 11:52

I think the miserable 2 year Fiat warranty is standard. Ditto mine on German built MH - 2 years old next March. Always makes me nervous when I hear that somebody with vehicle of a similar vintage has had a safety recall which I know nothing about!

EmilysDad replied on 13/11/2019 15:00

Posted on 13/11/2019 11:07 by Appache

Thanks for all your replies.

Autotrail with Fiat engines only have 2year warranty...unbelievable. 

Brake switch problem puts engine into Limp Mode.Engine is manual.

Price was because we were charged over £100 for diagnostic check!!!!

Husband disabled so unable to carry out repair.

Now waiting for Fiat to get back to me re. they said would look into a contribution.

Just found out we now have a recall ie Brake cable and brake clips..Spoke to Fiat and this is not related they said..

Going to have to get it done and pay..Only just paid for Service and Habitation on it November 5th..Not a good end to the year 🥺🥺

Posted on 13/11/2019 15:00

Even allowing for an hour's diagnostic, that is still a lot of money to fit a tu'penny ha'penny brake switch. If you're sure a new brake switch would solve your motorhome's fault it would be worth chatting with a local garage and getting them to fit a switch for you .... changing them is normally a 5 or 10 minute task.

Appache replied on 13/11/2019 19:31

Posted on 13/11/2019 15:00 by EmilysDad

Even allowing for an hour's diagnostic, that is still a lot of money to fit a tu'penny ha'penny brake switch. If you're sure a new brake switch would solve your motorhome's fault it would be worth chatting with a local garage and getting them to fit a switch for you .... changing them is normally a 5 or 10 minute task.

Posted on 13/11/2019 19:31

Will look at Local garage if we need anything else doing..now warranty ended.

Stuck at Fiat workshop as Brake switch puts Motorhome in Limp mode..ie only can do 15 to 30  miles per hour.

Fiat have agreed to cover Diagnostic so £201.09. to pay and recall being done at same time..

Hope that's an end...At least if it happens again we should have a guarantee.

Fingers and toes crossed we have Happy Motoring from now on.🍷🍾🍷

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook