Manual or automatic

Tinwheeler replied on 01/07/2019 18:31

Posted on 01/07/2019 17:54 by

Speeds below 5 mph ish, the clutch has to slip, such as very slow moving traffic. In such, Truro today for example, my style is to stop, wait for a gap then drive into it. Nothing to do with the clutch but the start stop function.

Posted on 01/07/2019 18:31

I think you’ve just described an auto box that’s not fit for purpose πŸ˜‚

Milothedog replied on 01/07/2019 19:17

Posted on 01/07/2019 19:17

Surely waiting for a gap then pulling forward using stop start is still causing the clutch used for the odd number gears in the VAG dual system to work the same as just creeping forward?

We had a 62 reg VW Tiguan DSG (from new) with stop start and whilst it was quite a good gear change most of the time, occasionally it would suffer a harsh gear change when very hot.  

The Aisin 6 speed in our Freelander 2 is a TC box and is seamless. It's also aware of having the caravan attached when the electrics are attached and adapts the gear changes including making it use 1st from every stationary or rolling start pull away.

This Sunday we took our 44 year old Triumph Stag out for a drive, that has a BW35 auto box and whilst perfectly pleasant to drive you can feel what its doing unlike our Freelander.

We also have a friend who has just sold his Audi A4 estate as scrap because the Audi CVT  box in it had just destroyed itself for the second time. so another one to avoid.

replied on 01/07/2019 22:38

Posted on 01/07/2019 19:17 by Milothedog

Surely waiting for a gap then pulling forward using stop start is still causing the clutch used for the odd number gears in the VAG dual system to work the same as just creeping forward?

We had a 62 reg VW Tiguan DSG (from new) with stop start and whilst it was quite a good gear change most of the time, occasionally it would suffer a harsh gear change when very hot.  

The Aisin 6 speed in our Freelander 2 is a TC box and is seamless. It's also aware of having the caravan attached when the electrics are attached and adapts the gear changes including making it use 1st from every stationary or rolling start pull away.

This Sunday we took our 44 year old Triumph Stag out for a drive, that has a BW35 auto box and whilst perfectly pleasant to drive you can feel what its doing unlike our Freelander.

We also have a friend who has just sold his Audi A4 estate as scrap because the Audi CVT  box in it had just destroyed itself for the second time. so another one to avoid.

Posted on 01/07/2019 22:38

Nope, only first gear and reverse would slip the clutch, other gears wouldnt be selected if the speed didn't allow the clutch to close.

Triumph Stag, now your talking. I had back in the day a TR7, mildly customised. First car in the area to be sprayed in 2 pack paint, it had actual alloy wheels too, Wolfrace Slots. I used to polish them with a sheepskin buff every week come rain of shine! Ah memorys.

Erm Vespa scooters have CVT drive nowadays, just saying.

replied on 01/07/2019 23:23

Posted on 01/07/2019 18:31 by Tinwheeler

I think you’ve just described an auto box that’s not fit for purpose πŸ˜‚

Posted on 01/07/2019 23:23

Really?

How so.

Oh by the way, it depends on the engine whether or not your Audi gearbox has wet of dry clutches.

EmilysDad replied on 01/07/2019 23:25

Posted on 01/07/2019 22:38 by

Nope, only first gear and reverse would slip the clutch, other gears wouldnt be selected if the speed didn't allow the clutch to close.

Triumph Stag, now your talking. I had back in the day a TR7, mildly customised. First car in the area to be sprayed in 2 pack paint, it had actual alloy wheels too, Wolfrace Slots. I used to polish them with a sheepskin buff every week come rain of shine! Ah memorys.

Erm Vespa scooters have CVT drive nowadays, just saying.

Posted on 01/07/2019 23:25

I had a Peugeot scooter nearly 20 yrs ago that had a CVT drive as did DAF many many years ago with their Variomatic. Industry though is getting rid of these types of variable drive as & when they die and replacing them with direct electrickery drive motors.

They aren't the best! πŸ˜‰

Slushbox autos are still the way to go ... especially when towing ... no clutches to slip (drive bands aren't quite the same)

EmilysDad replied on 01/07/2019 23:33

Posted on 01/07/2019 23:23 by

Really?

How so.

Oh by the way, it depends on the engine whether or not your Audi gearbox has wet of dry clutches.

Posted on 01/07/2019 23:33

whether wet or dry clutches .... it's still an automated manual underneath πŸ˜‰

replied on 01/07/2019 23:36

Posted on 01/07/2019 23:33 by EmilysDad

whether wet or dry clutches .... it's still an automated manual underneath πŸ˜‰

Posted on 01/07/2019 23:36

True,  but amazing to drive.

Way back when I had a 2.8i Granada automatic, I'm sure it only had 3 gears!

You would approve, 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook