Newbie with demountable

Derek ST replied on 27/01/2020 13:16

Posted on 27/01/2020 13:16

Hi,

After spending over six months deciding on which motorhome or campervan to go for I came across, what I thought was, the perfect solution, a demountable. I have bought a Ford Ranger and have found a second hand demountable on ebay. The issue is that very few people or companies are aware of them, even this site won't allow me to add my rig. Is it a motorhome? Sometimes. Is it a caravan? Sometimes. I am struggling to get reasonable insurance as companies don't know how to class them. I cannot be the only person in the UK with this rig so has anyone any advice or experience?

Tinwheeler replied on 27/01/2020 13:28

Posted on 27/01/2020 13:28

Welcome, Derek.

I can’t help you, I’m afraid, but have you contacted the club for advice re insurance?

They're unusual units. I’ve seen a few around, mainly Dutch registered, and they look to be useful things. Ideal tor small roads.

ABM replied on 27/01/2020 15:01

Posted on 27/01/2020 15:01

Welcome indeed, Derek  !!

All the years I've known of  "Demountables" it's always been followed by " Campers " and that's what I call them !!  So There  wink !!

Enjoy your time & tours with it, Derek but remember, please, to let us know how you get on 'co we need to learn about ALL fellow members and their vehicles smile.

Brian

Takethedogalong replied on 27/01/2020 16:58

Posted on 27/01/2020 16:58

Great go almost anywhere outfit Derek. I would have a word with both Club’s re insurance. You might even be able to get away with modified vehicle insurance. We considered a Land Rover demountable at one time. Have come across a few examples on all sorts of vehicles down the years, but then we used to go to a lot of off road events, and they were a popular option. Good luck with getting sorted.

What I would do is contact HQ and get them to confirm that your set up is ok to use Club Sites. Get it in writing, or an email to show to site Wardens to avoid any confusion. πŸ‘ It’ll come in handy to show the odd stuffy Member as well who might think they know better! Rare, but the odd (very odd) one or two are out there!πŸ˜‚

EDIT: AdrianFlux Insurance might be a good bet for something out of the ordinary like your outfit. We have used them in the past, just make sure you contact them before renewal is due if you use, as they can be a bit quick of the mark taking another years payment.

EDIT#2: you might be interested in this website http://demountablecampergroup.com/viewtopic.php?t=426

Derek ST replied on 28/01/2020 10:35

Posted on 28/01/2020 10:35

Thanks to all who replied. The first thing I did before joining the club to check the rig was eligible for membership and was informed it was. I have to say that directline have bent over backwards to accommodate me so will be going with them. Going to collect the rig from Cambridge tomorrow so am now busy removing the roll bars, mountaintop roll cover and tailgate.  

RedKite replied on 28/01/2020 10:47

Posted on 28/01/2020 10:47

We have seen these on some sites and did have an old friend many years ago had one and toured all over the UK, we also had one next to us last year on a site near Beynac in the Dordogne on a Toyota Hi-Lux pick up and that looked great with a pop up roof on.

Glad you got insurance sorted out and enjoy your new outfit.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook