Peugeot Boxer Ignition barrel red button

WilliamsDJ replied on 09/11/2019 23:37

Posted on 09/11/2019 23:37

Advice please, I’m new to motor homing, Van is an Elddis Accordo seven months old and refused to start I called out the roadside assistance who then traced a problem to a coil fault, which was bypassed to get me home. The coil is situated on top of the battery my question is can anyone tell me what the red button attached to the ignition barrel ring does? I have funny feeling I my have contributed to the situation.The Peugeot handbook is very vague the local Peugeot garage is somewhat puzzled and as for the supplier, well. Apparently, this button has only appeared on the latest models 2018 onwards, that’s all I know. Cheers DJW.

Tinwheeler replied on 11/11/2019 15:48

Posted on 11/11/2019 15:48

Hi, DJW. The red button isolates the vehicle battery.

Using it will disable all except the very essential electrical systems such as the ECU memory. It’s worth noting that, once enabled, it will prevent entry to the van by any means other than inserting the key in the look of the driver's door and will mean resetting the time/date of the clock.

If you have a tracker or alarm, these should be powered by the leisure battery but it’s worth checking that before isolating the vehicle battery.

Btw, our Boxer has this button and it’s the 2017 Euro 6 model. 

Tinwheeler replied on 11/11/2019 16:42

Posted on 11/11/2019 16:42

The pics below show my button and the accompanying label on the dash.

To elaborate on my post above, engaging the red button isolates most of the vehicle battery stand-by functions and, if this is not done and the vehicle is not used fo a few weeks, the battery will lose its charge.

To engage the button, push it in and turn the key beyond the normal off position. You can then lock the vehicle with the fob once. After a short time the battery will be disconnected from most stand-by functions and the central locking system. The door can then only be opened with the key.

When the ignition is turned back on, wait a few moments for the systems to be re-avtivated and lights and dials on the dash to settle.

Here’s a link to a previous discussion -

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/information-technical-tips-advice/motorhomes/motorhome-battery-advice/

WilliamsDJ replied on 11/11/2019 19:00

Posted on 11/11/2019 19:00

Thank you all so much, pity the information didn't come from those people who should have been in the know or maybe I never asked the right question! never mind everything is running smoothly again. It is reassuring I can rely upon club members though. Brilliant thank you.

Cheers DJW  

SChisholm replied on 24/08/2020 11:19

Posted on 24/08/2020 11:19

I have a Wildax Citroen relay 2018. Last week we too were unable to start the van after engaging the red button. Green flag got us going (twice!) But the van will only start on a jump. We have a 3 week wait before Citroen can look at the van. In the meantime it appears that by bridging the relay the van can be started. Can anyone tell me if this is safe to do until such a time as van can be checked over.

Many Thanks Bruce

PhilnShaz replied on 15/09/2020 11:28

Posted on 15/09/2020 11:28

Sounds like your relay has failed to re-energise when you have turned the ignition on.

I asked my local dealer about this switch and he had to print out the instructions from the internet for me, no one had seen this switch before. The really annoying thing is that the motorhome dealer has no idea what it does and with the solar panel connected to the vehicle battery as well as the leisure battery they cannot tell me if this isolates the solar panel or not. So only thing to do is use the motorhome at least once every 2-3 weeks so the battery does not go flat.

Incidentally, mine did go flat after 4 weeks and I took it to the dealer who checked the batteries and the solar charger and said that everything was OK, even though I had to jump start the motorhome to take it to the dealer. How can that 20 mile trip make everything OK?

Tinwheeler replied on 15/09/2020 11:37

Posted on 15/09/2020 11:37

All the info on ours was in the handbook 🤷‍♂️.

Ours has now been changed for a Fiat which, sadly, does not have the very useful battery isolator switch.

WillMoHo replied on 05/10/2020 21:55

Posted on 05/10/2020 21:55

Not so much a reply to DJW but more a question to all re how to make the red button function actually work.

As a new motorhomer I admit to being puzzled by the red button on my 2017 Bailey on a Boxer cab. I have spoken with local Peugeot dealer and they were not too helpful although eventually I received a sheet via download from a manual that is different to my one and that explained how it should work. I followed these instructions one week past but was not convinced when I left the vehicle in its inside storage location that the Battery Saver System had been activated by me. Lo and behold today when I went to collect it after 7 days I was able to open the door with my remote and it would not start. Now to meet Greenflag in the morning to jump start the vehicle.

If Tinwheeler or anyone with more know-how than me can help me make this system function I would be very grateful.

Best wishes to all - WillMoHo

Tinwheeler replied on 05/10/2020 22:28

Posted on 05/10/2020 22:28

Hi, Will. We no longer have the Pug and wish the current Fiat had the red button.

You're aware that if the remote unlocks the doors, then the red button has not engaged so that's a simple way of checking.

As far as I can recall, with the ignition turned off but with the key still in the ignition, push the red button in and keep it pushed in while you turn the key one further position. Remove the key and the button should stay in. Then leave the vehicle and you have a short time to lock the doors with the fob. You don’t have very long to do this and won’t be able to lock them if you tarry. Once the time has expired (sorry, I can’t remember how many minutes) you will only be able to enter the vehicle by opening the driver's door manually with the key. Other doors can be opened from inside the van but you cannot lock them again.

To enable the system again put the key in the ignition and turn it on. Wait a few minutes while the dashboard instrument panel goes through a routine. Once it's settled, you can open the doors via the dashboard door lock switch and start the engine. All should then be back to normal but you will need to reset the date/time settings. 

Most LV dealers and garages probably won’t have a clue and it's not unknown for the system to malfunction.

WillMoHo replied on 12/10/2020 12:29

Posted on 12/10/2020 12:29

Hi Tinwheeler, Thanks for reply and apologies for not getting back to you sooner. Was in Tavistock with MoHo and no pc to check you had responded. Now at home and again a problem. Parked up on Saturday and on Sunday tried to set the Battery Standby System. Seemed ok because later I had to use the key in the door to open for access. Lo and behold it will not start - just click/click/click which is just like when a battery is flat. However a brand new battery went in last week so only 6 days later not start. Is it the Battery Standby playing up or I am not operting the restart process correctly??? I am really puzzled and very frustrated. Any guidance wil be very much appreciated. Peugeot in Taunton were helpful and seem to think its the battery that's the problem but seems odd for a 6 day old battery. Look forward to your comment. regards

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook