Air Compressor

gatewaya89 replied on 23/04/2018 20:28

Posted on 23/04/2018 20:28

Hi All

I don't know about other caravan/motorhome users but sometimes checking your tyre pressure can be a right pain! Sometimes the machines don't work, sometimes they get damaged and you can't even see the PSI numbers, sometimes its just ridiculous charges in garages!

So we have been looking at spending some money on a portable 12 volt mobile system! Now here is the problem, as much as I look around and read reviews there just doesn't seem to be one that 1: Can pump to the PSI you need 2: Loads seem to take ages and then cut out because they are to hot!, its like a mine field of customer usage reviews and no two people seem to agree!

The one that does keep coming up is the "Ring Make" and Halfords seem to sell a robust one for about £75 squid!

Question is does anyone out there use a particular good one which doesn't blow car or caravan fuses or doesn't heat up and take ages to cool down?

Thanks for any replies to this question

Gateway

DaveCyn replied on 07/01/2021 19:09

Posted on 07/01/2021 18:24 by topkat2000

This is another question rather than a reply. We have a twin axle motorhome, and one of the tyres on the rear axle has gone flat, but we have the anti-puncture filling in all the tyres. We believe that it is the vale that is leaking, but can we pump up as normal, even though we have the gloop in the tyre?

Posted on 07/01/2021 19:09

Should be able to re-inflate as normal.

Don't forget to inform whoever does any repair to the tyre that you have the anti-puncture gunk in there. The tyre will probably need to be removed to effect a repair and it can be extremely flammable and will certainly be very messy!

Personally I won't use it! 

richardandros replied on 08/01/2021 05:32

Posted on 08/01/2021 05:32

To start with, I used a re-chargeable one from Aldi - which was fine whilst it worked but after a few months, packed up and I couldn't be bothered to go through the rigmarole of sending it back.  I bought the RAC 900 and that developed a leak on the hose connection after a short while - so that went back and was replaced.

It's OK but I find the long, coiled, air hose a bit of a pain - getting tangled up and snagging on things.  Yes, once clipped to the battery, it's possible to go round the car with the hose - but the pump is at the other side so you have to switch it on - over-inflate the tyre - go round to the other side - switch it off - and then go back and deflate the tyre to the correct pressure. Nowhere near as convenient as the hand-held re-chargeable one.

The other option is to use the small 40 aH battery I use for other things - but again that means shifting the whole lot from tyre to tyre which rather defeats the object of having the long air hose.

With hindsight, I wish I'd thought this through a bit more before shelling out £75 or so.

ocsid replied on 08/01/2021 07:40

Posted on 08/01/2021 07:40

There is another very practical solution well able to get to the high pressure sometimes met with both motor homes and caravans, plus it is very portable.

A high quality cycle track pump, where this one is a good readily purchased example.

LINK

It is of course only practical for topping up where the MH or caravan needs that odd few PSI, and for correcting your tow cars rear tyres for the tow home etc.

Pumping up a total flat will be a challenge too far, but then you're likely to be needing the services of a tyre dealer anyway.

Whilst I have an excellent RING RAC 900, that is reserved for home use, this comes out with the van, we need it for the bikes but found it also does the van well.

ABM replied on 10/01/2021 16:48

Posted on 10/01/2021 16:48

PLEASE NOTE THAT only Posts by TOPKAT & TIGI on page 1 are dated this year, 2021 !! All the earlier ones, mine included are from 2018 !!

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook