Awnings on hardstanding

davetom replied on 06/05/2019 21:15

Posted on 06/05/2019 21:15

Hi all, I am not new to caravanning but am new to pitching a awning on a hardstanding. I have a chance to holiday on a site with only hardstandings and hardly any grass. So the awning would be on the hard surface as well. My question is what do I need in the way of pegs etc which is different from what is used on a grass pitch. Thanks David

TonyIshUK replied on 21/06/2019 17:23

Posted on 21/06/2019 17:23

If you have a ground sheet that is sewn onto the outer ( or maybe if you have an loose ground sheet ) , it is worth having a heavier under sheet to stop the handstand punching holes into the top sheet.

its not so much walking on the top sheet but sharp edges , or point loads, from tables, chairs etc.

Having a dirty sheet ( mark the bottom ""Down / Dirty ) to show which it was down last time, has all sorts of uses, and can be bundled up as the last item to be first out next time.  I keep it in a dustbin liner, and air it if need be when we get home.

rgds

replied on 21/06/2019 17:32

Posted on 21/06/2019 17:32

You will need rock pegs and I favour a steel shafted claw hammer to drive them in and to lever out.

young thomas replied on 30/06/2019 09:00

Posted on 30/06/2019 09:00

Posted on 23/05/2019 18:50 by MollysMummy
Should it really be that hard to put an awning up? My awning went up last week with the minimum of effort as I hammered my pegs into grass .... it's what all awnings should be put up on!

see 'other' (awnings kill grass pitches) thread....

grass is a lovely surface to camp on, but not after it's been wrecked by awnings.....

where there's a choice of surface, perhaps awnings on HS only might prevent this....

hywelsycharth replied on 23/07/2019 09:53

Posted on 23/07/2019 09:53

I have never had much success with screw-in pegs and usually resort to plain rock pegs and a 2lb Birmingham spanner. To remove I use a 50 year old Mole grip, give the pegs a twist and out they come. Failing that, a trick learned from a fellow caravanner in Florence is to soak the pegs with a watering can and leave for five minutes (after lifting the skirt out of the way.)

EmilysDad replied on 23/07/2019 10:23

Posted on 23/07/2019 10:23

Pegs usually respond to a tap side side to side with a 2 or 4lb knocking stick to allow them to be pulled out. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook