Caravan breakdown insurance query

ScreenName7594E86547 replied on 09/03/2021 10:45

Posted on 09/03/2021 10:45

Bit new to caravanning....

We already have breakdown insurance on the car we will use to tow our caravan.  They have said that will cover the wheels of the caravan, but that's all.

Do I also need caravan breakdown insurance, and if so, why? When I look at the Mayday UK cover it  looks like it cover both car and caravan.  So, perhaps this would be better in future, instead of our existing breakdown cover?

is there a better way to organise this in future?

Many thanks for any help and advice.

KjellNN replied on 23/04/2021 20:40

Posted on 23/04/2021 20:40

We are also with  Mayday, and have been since 1998.

We have in the last couple of years also taken personal cover to cover our other car, and us when using our daughter's car.

We have used the cover to get our van taken to the site we were booked onto, and then the car taken to a suitable dealer, who then gave us a courtesy car for 3 weeks (car needed a new autobox)

More recently we had a problem with our mover, which we need to get the van on and off the driveway.  We called Mayday and they came and helped us to get the van onto the road and hitched to the car.

We also had to call them out when we had a puncture on the van on our way to a service appointment, they got out the spare from  the Alko  Carrier and fitted it.

Well worth the premium IMO. 

figbat replied on 26/04/2021 09:21

Posted on 26/04/2021 09:21

As a consequence of this thread we looked into the existing breakdown cover we have and discovered that we are covered for towing too - this is the Volvo Assist that you get with a new car.  I don't suppose it is an especially comprehensive cover, but it is better than "sorry mate, you're on your own".

KjellNN replied on 26/04/2021 22:11

Posted on 26/04/2021 22:11

I think the main points to be considered here are what cover do you have if the car is fine but the caravan has a problem, and what happens to the caravan if it is on site and your car has a problem, which cannot be fixed at the roadside, when you are out for the day?

You need the answer to those 2 questions before you decide what to do.

eurortraveller replied on 27/04/2021 08:28

Posted on 27/04/2021 08:28

K, your Q.1 - a breakdown service covering the caravan will fix it. Mayday is not the only policy giving cover for caravan as well as car 

Your Q.2 - the breakdown man takes you back to the caravan and you live in it until the car is fixed at a garage. We did that from a Friday afternoon until Tuesday over a public holiday weekend - there was the option of a  small runabout car but we didn't bother. 

commeyras replied on 27/04/2021 08:59

Posted on 27/04/2021 08:59

I tried to reply in similar vein as Kjel and ET yesterday but the site was so slow my post did not make it through!

I have a similar cover with VW Assist as Volvo Assist.  If caravan has a problem on the road you are on your own.  So say you are unfortunate enough to lose a wheel on the caravan when towing then tough!  Figbat, you need to read the policy carefully to ensure that it gives what you want.  Volvo Assist is a car breakdown policy not a caravan breakdown policy.

eurortraveller replied on 27/04/2021 09:16

Posted on 26/04/2021 09:21 by figbat

As a consequence of this thread we looked into the existing breakdown cover we have and discovered that we are covered for towing too - this is the Volvo Assist that you get with a new car.  I don't suppose it is an especially comprehensive cover, but it is better than "sorry mate, you're on your own".

Posted on 27/04/2021 09:16

An option for that situation for those with a new car where the breakdown cover is only for the car is to add caravan breakdown cover as a package to the annual caravan insurance. There are insurance companies which will do that. 

SteveL replied on 27/04/2021 09:35

Posted on 27/04/2021 09:16 by eurortraveller

An option for that situation for those with a new car where the breakdown cover is only for the car is to add caravan breakdown cover as a package to the annual caravan insurance. There are insurance companies which will do that. 

Posted on 27/04/2021 09:35

Personally I considered it worth the premium to have both with the same recovery outfit and kept on the mayday. As it was also covering another vehicle the cost was minor.

CHALKY2 replied on 29/04/2021 17:34

Posted on 09/03/2021 10:45 by ScreenName7594E86547

Bit new to caravanning....

We already have breakdown insurance on the car we will use to tow our caravan.  They have said that will cover the wheels of the caravan, but that's all.

Do I also need caravan breakdown insurance, and if so, why? When I look at the Mayday UK cover it  looks like it cover both car and caravan.  So, perhaps this would be better in future, instead of our existing breakdown cover?

is there a better way to organise this in future?

Many thanks for any help and advice.

Posted on 29/04/2021 17:34

I purchased a Bailey Grande a year ago and was surprised to learn that my current breakdown insurance does not provide for the recovery of my type of caravan. Most policies have a 2.3 Metres width limit and Bailey Grande models are 2.45 Metres wide. It was a relief to be informed on the telephone today that Mayday (via the club) has no such width limit. Also a Mayday policy is far more comprehensive and includes getting you to your site for your holiday and then getting the caravan back home. I suggest that members with wider caravans may wish to check their existing policy before going out on the road.

Lyke Wake Man replied on 06/01/2022 14:45

Posted on 06/01/2022 14:45

yes change you breakdown to mayday, they will come out if it is the caravan in trouble,

like brake cable broke, also is you get stuck in mud

AA & RAC salesmen say they cover your an if you are towing,

what they mean they will recover your caravan if your are towing, but their terms say that the broken down vehicle must be registered with the D.V.L.C. so they will only come out if it is your car that has broken down

Mayday cover the caravan as well

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook