Caravan Newbie in a panic- MTPLM - BMW530D M Sport

ScreenName712C2C851B replied on 25/07/2020 17:08

Posted on 25/07/2020 17:08

Hello Everyone

Firstly thanks for looking at this thread.

As a family of 4 (kids 10 & 12) we are looking to purchase a caravan and identified a Bailey Barcelona (MTPLM 1723kg) as our first caravan.

So speaking to friends etc they assure me that my BMW 530D which has:

A max towing weight of 2000kg, kerb weight of 1810kg / 1825kg (see two values) will be fine?

But can you help on the BMW MTPLM?

If the MTPLM is 1810kg and the caravan is 1723kg then this means 1810 = 95.2% have I calculated this correct>?

Can I tow this, some information seems to suggest you can tow between 85% to 100%

1810kg is the standard car with fuel etc, when we use the car with the caravan for holidays then we will have a roof box / boot and be putting the weight into the car, would this increase the MTPLM and make the car heavier and make it better?

The Caravan has ALDI breaks, twin axle and ALCO stabilizer (2015) model 

allanandjean replied on 27/07/2020 09:01

Posted on 26/07/2020 20:29 by

My car then, as now, is the car that I want to have and the van is chosen to fit the car-so we don't have the tail wagging the dog.

Different for me. I chose cars to handle typical 4 berths of the time for the last 40 years

Posted on 27/07/2020 09:01

Hi Easy, When looking for our first van it had to fit the car, due to the weight,or lack of it, that I mentioned.

i think the best way to describe it is to say that I would not buy a car just because it was good at towing my van.

On more than one occasion, in our early days of vanning, fellow caravanners have suggested that I should have a bigger car, as it would give me more scope in my choice of van, but we didn't want,or need, a bigger van and it suggests that I am not happy with what I have which is not the case.

However, things are different now with us having a Q5. This was chosen, over the A5 Sportback that I was considering, to retain a raised seating position.

Its still not the size vehicle that seems common on club sites, but we do have a lot more scope anyway should we wish to consider something heavier

replied on 27/07/2020 10:14

Posted on 27/07/2020 10:14

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Amesford replied on 27/07/2020 10:49

Posted on 27/07/2020 10:49

Found this info on Vin plates 

https://www.ntta.co.uk/law/law/towing-capacity#:~:text=The%20VIN%20Plate&text=The%20top%20figure%20'A'%20is,of%20the%20vehicle%20and%20trailer.

replied on 27/07/2020 12:26

Posted on 27/07/2020 09:01 by allanandjean

Hi Easy, When looking for our first van it had to fit the car, due to the weight,or lack of it, that I mentioned.

i think the best way to describe it is to say that I would not buy a car just because it was good at towing my van.

On more than one occasion, in our early days of vanning, fellow caravanners have suggested that I should have a bigger car, as it would give me more scope in my choice of van, but we didn't want,or need, a bigger van and it suggests that I am not happy with what I have which is not the case.

However, things are different now with us having a Q5. This was chosen, over the A5 Sportback that I was considering, to retain a raised seating position.

Its still not the size vehicle that seems common on club sites, but we do have a lot more scope anyway should we wish to consider something heavier

Posted on 27/07/2020 12:26

Not an option for me. I had a 1200 CC HC Viva estate which had been fine towing my light trailer tent (after I had replaced the oil pump and had the crankshaft reground so I could refit with new bearings). My first caravan bought in 1981 was a 5 berth Eccles Topaz an built like the proverbial outhouse - very heavy for its time. My F-in-L was trading in his Datsun 180B sedan which at 95bhp was suitable. I paid him the PX price and he got a better deal on purchase price. I towed with that for 11 years. 

Then I got rid of the of the 20+ year old 5 berth in 1993 and bought a lightweight ABI Monza Supreme 3 berth. Much lighter to tow and was to tide us over until youngest daughter would stop coming away with us. By coincidence my F-in-L was again about to trade in a 1600cc Nissan Buebird hatchback which although only 82 bhp was ample for that van. Having made a deal on the 4 year old car my F-in-L gave it to us as a gift and I gave my Datsun to Eldest Daughter.  

So roll on to 2005 and OH had moved in with me. I had given my previous caravan away it was dry, I had fitted electrics and it was a nice van. I was planning to give up work in 30 months time and we decided to buy a new caravan and towcar. The towcar was chosen as primarily a tow car as I still had my daily driver which was not likely to be able to tow any caravan that Fliss and I chose. I wanted one that would easily tow 1500kg. I decided on a few year old Nissan X-Trail 2.2 diesel. Eventually found a fantastic deal on a new X-Trail for at least £2,000 less than a 3 year old one and including paint seal and interior fabric treatment.  Also found an Ex-demo Charisma 5.4

Fliss paid for everything as she had just sold her home after moving in with me.

This is a receipt to confirm that Felicity Haslam of 20 Highland Avenue, Aston Park has provided £31,000 to her joint account with me, Alan Taylor of the same address, this being the approximate purchase cost of a car and caravan.

The Car a Nissan X-trail is to be collected new on 22 August 2005 at a cost of approximately £19,000 to include the fitting of a tow bar.

The Caravan a Swift Charisma 540 is to be collected on 25th August at a cost of approximately £12,000 to include fitting of Tyrons, extra equipment and an extended warranty for years 4 and 5.

I undertake to repay Felicity Haslam half of the total approximate purchase cost of £31,000 on or before the last day of 2005. This being my half of the joint purchase of the above car and caravan which are our joint property.

This is also an agreement between us as to the ownership, which is to be held jointly between us.

Signed                             Date

Jazzybaby replied on 27/07/2020 14:54

Posted on 27/07/2020 14:54

As per other advice,  (I guessed the car age) I wouldn't personally want to tow this outfit.  I have 25 years of experience.  

Below is the info from the C.M.C tow car matching service. 

BMW 5 Series 530d M Sport (2017)
Make BMW
Range 530d M Sport
Model 5 Series
Year 2017
Fuel type Diesel
Transmission type Automatic
Body type Saloon
Kerb weight 1715.00kg
Towing limit 2000.00kg
Gross vehicle weight 2345.00kg
Gross train weight 4355.00kg
Nose weight 90.00kg
BHP 265
RPM for maximum BHP 4000.00
Maximum torque 620.00
RPM for maximum torque 2000.00
Bailey Unicorn Series 3 Barcelona (2015)
Make Bailey
Range Unicorn Series 3
Model Barcelona
Year 2015
Type Caravan
Berths 4
Number of axles 2
MTPLM 1723kg
MIRO 1560kg
User payload 163kg
Hitch limit Unknown
Shipping length 7.92m
Overall width 2.28m
Overall height 2.61m
Body Length 6.37m

KeithL replied on 27/07/2020 18:43

Posted on 26/07/2020 16:31 by ScreenName712C2C851B

Thank you all for the comments, tech details etc....

As I mentioned I am brand new to this and I want to get this correct, I will go and gather specific details from the log book.

It is all confusing tbh as there is alot of detail for a new comer, but i will check back later.

Again thank you, i recgonise there is a lot of experience and opinions, as tinwheeler mentioned what is legal and safe.

Posted on 27/07/2020 18:43

I used to tow 1500Kg van with a BMW 320d but the real problem was the low nose weight limit of the car which was 50Kg as I remember. Made loading very difficult and if I hadn't been caravanning for around 20 years by then it would have been easy to forget about correct loading and get a really unstable van.

Since that car I've always looked for a car with the largest nose weight I can afford and then started looking at van weights. I now have a VW Touareg which, in all honesty, can tow just about anything but I still have a single axle van with MTPLM of 1500Kg as such vans have always been big enough for my family of 5, and easier to manoeuvre and setup on site being a single axle.

I'd suggest as a first time tower that the van/car combination you're looking at is not the best match and you need to be extremely careful how you load the caravan given the nose weight issue shown in the matching data you have.

KjellNN replied on 27/07/2020 21:59

Posted on 27/07/2020 21:59

Yes, the Touareg is an excellent towcar, we traded in our, unfortunately, unreliable 10 year old Volvo XC 90 for a Touareg in 2017, got a great deal on a pre reg with 14 miles on the clock.

Kerb weight is around 2200kg and we tow an up-plated 2008 Sterling twin  axle 1900kg MTPLM, much better than the Volvo.  I have been towing since the early 70s.

We like the fixed bed and the home  comforts as we used to do 4 months abroad each year, so when we got the Volvo, though we had a smaller van at the time, we went for something that could tow a large van.

I would agree that the OP's proposed combination is not ideal, and as a new tower he needs to be very cautious.

Lutz replied on 28/07/2020 07:45

Posted on 28/07/2020 07:45

I would give it a try with what you've got. You can always change the car if you feel at all uneasy about it. Stability of an outfit is dependent on so many variables that a simple weight ratio check is only a very small part of the whole story. Some outfits handle better at high weight ratios than others with more favourable ones so it's impossible to generalise. As I said I tow a heavier caravan with my car of roughly the same kerbweight and am perfectly happy with the combination, even under adverse towing conditions.

MikeyA replied on 28/07/2020 19:57

Posted on 28/07/2020 19:57

The only problem with Lutz's suggestion is that if you are unhappy with the balance and towing of the outfit then you are probably looking to upgrade to a Discovery/Range Rover type vehicle. Would it not be more sensible to reduce the proposed caravan to a shorter single axle which will be easier to tow on our congested roads especially our narrow country lanes.

We also had two children but we managed perfectly well in our little Elddis before upsizing to a Challenger 440 as they grew. 

Tinwheeler replied on 28/07/2020 20:31

Posted on 28/07/2020 20:31

I’m inclined to agree, Mikey. When the car already exists and the caravan has yet to be bought, I think it’s best to buy a van to suit the car.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook