Caravan noseweight

dandycamper replied on 27/02/2019 09:51

Posted on 27/02/2019 09:51

hi just bought a bailey phoenix 2 berth and I cannot get the noseweight above 48kilos I have everything on the floor at the front of the van awning/water container/bedding in the front etc I have nothing behind the axle when it was delivered it was about 20kilos on the nose.acording to the 5/7% ratio it should be 68kilos minimum.any one else with the same problem. and is it safe to tow with such a low nose weight.

Lutz replied on 24/10/2020 20:08

Posted on 02/03/2019 10:54 by crown green bowler

Your van must be completely level to get a true reading, try another spirit level. Also if your van sits nose down when on the car it will put more weight on the ball.

Posted on 24/10/2020 20:08

To be strictly correct, the caravan should not be level when noseweight is measured, but

at the same attitude as when it is hitched to the towing vehicle. However within reasonable limits the variation will be too small to make an appreciable difference.

nelliethehooker replied on 24/10/2020 20:32

Posted on 24/10/2020 08:10 by cyberyacht

Unicorns don't have a front locker, so that's going to be tricky.

Posted on 24/10/2020 20:32

Not strictly true, CY, as our Unicorn does have a front locker, in which we carry out gas bottles. It depends on which year of manufacture the OP's van is.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook