Is towing really that scary

Rev Jeff replied on 06/07/2020 16:54

Posted on 06/07/2020 16:54

My wife and I decided to buy a caravan for my 3 month sabbatical due next year (2021). Bought it last December but for obvious reasons haven't yet towed it. Been on a towing course and all was well and I thought this will be great. However, when asked how long I've been towing people look with horror and take in all kinds of deep breaths when I say it'll be the first time! I'm losing my nerve - is it really that bad? Towing from Wallasey to Ludlow on A49.

norab replied on 06/07/2020 21:42

Posted on 06/07/2020 21:42

As said take your time .

no it’s not scary . My husband doesn’t drive so I do all the towing . I’m not young and other motorist probably think I’m to old to be towing . 
advice from experience for the first time out look for somewhere quite near 30 minutes away or an hour . also check the roads . Motor ways are best because others can pass you. Just avoid B roads .

good luck .

Wherenext replied on 06/07/2020 22:28

Posted on 06/07/2020 22:28

Jeff, to answer your question "Is towing really that scary?" the answer is no! I can honestly say I have never been scared in nigh on 30 years.

Our first trip? North Wales to Thurstaston and the site at Wirral CP. 28 miles. A weekend. Next trip, 2,500 miles to Eastern Austria, before Schengen and before Austria had joined the EU. An adventure? Yep and one to be remembered fondly. Scared? No but very excited. Stupid? Maybe, probably, well ok, definitely. 

So if someone like me can drive that far on only my second ever tow then Ludlow shouldn't scare you. Be confident. Take your time and don't worry about others who may be impatient with you. Give corners a bit extra width. 

Make a check list of things to do before setting off, such as attaching breakaway cable, taking handbrake off, checking lights etc. I'm sure this would have been covered in your course.

Good luck. Take it easy around Shrewsbury, there are quite a few roundabouts. Best wishes.

Phishing replied on 06/07/2020 23:38

Posted on 06/07/2020 23:38

For a first run thats a good route. Good roads, easy towing.

The A483 and A5 are my favorite route that way but the A41 is OK. 

Plan it on google earth or maps, how the hell anybody planned in the past without it is beyond me.

Practice navigating with OH. Anybody in the car with us thinks were mad but having a good navigator reduces you input streams and helps you concentrate, however daft their voice commands get.  

EmilysDad replied on 07/07/2020 00:23

Posted on 06/07/2020 21:42 by norab

As said take your time .

no it’s not scary . My husband doesn’t drive so I do all the towing . I’m not young and other motorist probably think I’m to old to be towing . 
advice from experience for the first time out look for somewhere quite near 30 minutes away or an hour . also check the roads . Motor ways are best because others can pass you. Just avoid B roads .

good luck .

Posted on 07/07/2020 00:23

I'd contest that motorways are best if you're a novice behind the wheel. Others maybe able to pass, but there's a lot of them!!! And if it did go belly up, the consequences at speed wouldn't be worth thinking about. A & B roads are a lot slower thereby giving you time to think.

replied on 07/07/2020 05:33

Posted on 07/07/2020 00:23 by EmilysDad

I'd contest that motorways are best if you're a novice behind the wheel. Others maybe able to pass, but there's a lot of them!!! And if it did go belly up, the consequences at speed wouldn't be worth thinking about. A & B roads are a lot slower thereby giving you time to think.

Posted on 07/07/2020 05:33

Motorways are certainly not easier than A roads for me when they are heavily trafficked. Give me a good A road anytime. For me motorways are generally a tedious necessity on occasion without the interest of other roads. 

Living near Chester the M6 from below Warrington to below Birmingham I never use whether solo or towing. I might save 10 mins solo and drive 12 miles further but towing there is no saving. 

Going North to the Lakes however the M6 becomes the necessary evil for me

replied on 07/07/2020 08:28

Posted on 07/07/2020 08:28

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

JillwithaJay replied on 07/07/2020 09:15

Posted on 07/07/2020 09:15

I'd agree with Phishing regarding the navigating. 

I do all our towing by mutual agreement but we work as a team so I know I'll get good and precise instructions whilst I'm behind the wheel.  Things like 'clear left'  -  'you need to move out into offside lane for right turn at next junction' ...  You get the idea I'm sure but, for an unfamiliar journey, I also tend to google a route as well to familiarise myself with type of roads. 

I definitely wouldn't be without the motor mover either.

Stay safe but enjoy your trip.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook