EverySecondCounts replied on 03/05/2021 17:23
Posted on 03/05/2021 17:23
So, the first weekend away was mostly a success. 40 miles from home on a test run, which was fortunate as I left the awning poles behind and needed to return home for them. The Mrs not best pleased, but all was fine after 3 hrs of getting the awning up, which made a HUGE difference to the experience.
I did manage to make a balls up of it on the way back however. Our house is a corner plot, the caravan has a remote control motor on it. So, park across the driveway to unhitch the van, get distracted by the neighbours, the children, the dogs, attention gets diverted by a couple of cars trying to get round us, the Mrs is instructed to move the car....BANG!
I've released the caravan from the towbar, I haven't unhooked the electrics or the safety cable. The electric cable fitting that fits into the power socket of the towbar is ripped out, so I can see the 7 bare cololur coded wires; the adaptor to the 13 pin power socket on the towbar I'm not happy with, can anyone suggest a replacement (more later), the safety cable from the caravan that loops roud the towbar has snapped at the carabiner. So, can anyone suggest replacements, and what i may need to look out for. Also, wiring up the caravan to the car without moving either would be advantageous, is there an extention cable I can get?
The list distilled:
1. recommendation for replacing the car-end of the 7 pin electric cable. I should be able to wire this
2. replace the safety cable - any recommendations
3. anything i should check on the caravan when the cales snapped?
4.is there an extention cable to run from the car to the caravan?
5. the caravan came with a bottle of butane, there is space for another bottle - I was thinking of using propane (got the regulator and can already), but will this operate with the cooker / hot water system ok? Seem to remember that some appliances cannot use both? I am unlikely to be winter touring, but you never know.
6. a 7 pin caravan to 13 pin adaptor. Bought one on ebay for £8, when it is locked into position on the car and the caravan cable inserted, the wires are all wrong. Brake lights flashing as indicators, no indicators at all, no reversing. Plugging in the adaptor to the car in the clearly 'wrong' position gives me what i need, but the join isn't secure, one serious enough bump and the cable will separate. Any recomendations?