Would you help

tracyp replied on 11/09/2016 17:13

Posted on 11/09/2016 17:13

we have just returned from arwo week holiday touring round cornwall, we stayed over night at a cc site near birmingham, we packed up butld not could not get the caravan to huck up to the car, we are new to this and could not see what we were doing wrong, so i went to see the warden and asked if he could advise us were we were going wrong, he did within minuets the jocky wheel was not low enought, we were doing our chacks ie lights, mirrows when a female from over the other side who had been watching said are you ready to move as we are wanting to go, how rude may be if you had offered we would have been off sooner,

lesbunny replied on 12/09/2016 14:21

Posted on 12/09/2016 14:21

It takes all sorts I suppose. Personally whenever I have seen anyone struggling with anything on a site, I have asked if they need any help & I certainly would have done in this instance.

Fysherman replied on 12/09/2016 14:34

Posted on 12/09/2016 14:34

Earlier this year on a THS in Dorset, a chaps fridge acted up.

Turned out another chap was a caravan engineer. He took out the fridge and gave about 20 people a masterclass in fridge servicing.

moulesy replied on 12/09/2016 14:48

Posted on 12/09/2016 14:48

Tracy - the lesson from all this is to never be afraid to ask for help on site. We all had to start somewhere and we've all had various problems or done stupid things I'm sure (we once drove off and left one of the dogs behind on his corkscrew!)

Folk on site are rarely the same as they can appear to be on CT! Happy

Wildwood replied on 12/09/2016 21:08

Posted on 12/09/2016 21:08

I am sorry if the lady was rude, with that question it is all in the way she spoke.  There are a few people who can be a problem on site like anywhere else in life but the majority are friendly and helpful. 

I am pretty sure if we were opposite you we would have asked if you needed help but some people do not feel able to do that.

Do not be afraid to ask for help as most of us are only too happy to help.

Ken and Lorn replied on 18/01/2017 18:08

Posted on 18/01/2017 18:08

We are new as well and have had a few probems, lights wouldnt all work on one site, jockey wheel caught the road and dislidge caeacan pulling off spitch on a other,  pitching in tight areas a few times, as we havent been able to afford a mover yet the latter has been the most common issue we've had.  

On the most members have been very helpful, including when asking for help getting her out of her storage when the wardens ouldnt help, so Ken went knocking on doors.

However there have been times when we have met members on sites who either refused to help when asked politely explaining I've had a stroke so was at the time was unable to push or pull thd van, we've been told to move pitches on one dite by a member because she didnt like dogs, were shouted at by obe guy whose son was standing imnediately in front of our awning with his pitbull, (they were less than 2ft from awning on grass of our pitch, past our towbar about 4ft from rd), I hadnt noticed them opened the awning door with my iwn dogs on lead, who immefiatelt started barking, their pitbull snarled pulked yhe boy over as he jumped to go for my dogs I was pulling inside as soon as they saw the dog, boy hurt himself so his dad had a right go at me for not having my dogs under control so that they atracked his son and his  'family dog' attacked to protect him, and by another because, and here will make you laugh, because we have a "witches welcome sign" she was worried we would either curse her or act "inappropriatelty towards and in front if her children" she even went to the wardens  about that

While the attitude of members does change from area to area, (in London noone wouId evenanswer hello if you spoke, on the whole they are few and far between, and we have made some good friends from members we gave met.  more often than not members are more helpful than some wardens we have come across

Tinwheeler replied on 18/01/2017 18:33

Posted on 18/01/2017 18:33

So I guess you won't be renewing your membership, K & L.

You seem to have been particularly unlucky as, without casting any doubt on your statements, I can honestly say I have never had any such experiences in 45 years of caravanning and I am amazed by your post.

compass362 replied on 18/01/2017 19:57

Posted on 11/09/2016 17:13 by tracyp

we have just returned from arwo week holiday touring round cornwall, we stayed over night at a cc site near birmingham, we packed up butld not could not get the caravan to huck up to the car, we are new to this and could not see what we were doing wrong, so i went to see the warden and asked if he could advise us were we were going wrong, he did within minuets the jocky wheel was not low enought, we were doing our chacks ie lights, mirrows when a female from over the other side who had been watching said are you ready to move as we are wanting to go, how rude may be if you had offered we would have been off sooner,

Posted on 18/01/2017 19:57

Please don't be afraid to ask for help , people are more than happy to assist & don't be afraid to accept .

If we hadn't had help hitching up at Buxton last year , we would probably still be there .(we changed caravans mid season from winterhoff hitch to an alco one & i just couldn't get it on ,it was our first outing  ) 

Lovely member helped us & we were soon away 😇 if I think anyone needs help on site , I always ask them....... That's the way we should all roll .

johndailey replied on 18/01/2017 22:14

Posted on 18/01/2017 22:14

Tracy. Some people seem somehow to forget that they were complete novices when they started out. If they were honest and looked back, I bet that they may have held back somebody. Take it easy, learn from your mistakes (we all make them and still do) and be heartened that most people are only too glad to help.

JVB66 replied on 19/01/2017 08:18

Posted on 18/01/2017 18:08 by Ken and Lorn

We are new as well and have had a few probems, lights wouldnt all work on one site, jockey wheel caught the road and dislidge caeacan pulling off spitch on a other,  pitching in tight areas a few times, as we havent been able to afford a mover yet the latter has been the most common issue we've had.  

On the most members have been very helpful, including when asking for help getting her out of her storage when the wardens ouldnt help, so Ken went knocking on doors.

However there have been times when we have met members on sites who either refused to help when asked politely explaining I've had a stroke so was at the time was unable to push or pull thd van, we've been told to move pitches on one dite by a member because she didnt like dogs, were shouted at by obe guy whose son was standing imnediately in front of our awning with his pitbull, (they were less than 2ft from awning on grass of our pitch, past our towbar about 4ft from rd), I hadnt noticed them opened the awning door with my iwn dogs on lead, who immefiatelt started barking, their pitbull snarled pulked yhe boy over as he jumped to go for my dogs I was pulling inside as soon as they saw the dog, boy hurt himself so his dad had a right go at me for not having my dogs under control so that they atracked his son and his  'family dog' attacked to protect him, and by another because, and here will make you laugh, because we have a "witches welcome sign" she was worried we would either curse her or act "inappropriatelty towards and in front if her children" she even went to the wardens  about that

While the attitude of members does change from area to area, (in London noone wouId evenanswer hello if you spoke, on the whole they are few and far between, and we have made some good friends from members we gave met.  more often than not members are more helpful than some wardens we have come across

Posted on 19/01/2017 08:18

You have had some bad experiences since you started cannot remember that many in our years as members,and your point about no one talking when staying on sites in London i would think that the majority were from other areas rather than Londonwink

We find that the majority of people on sites are more than willing to help,but have noticed a lot more people are becoming more "in their own world" 

replied on 19/01/2017 08:47

Posted on 12/09/2016 13:53 by kaenergas

to all those who drain down on the pitch hope they do it only on hard standing as hot water on grass kills it. A friend who had a CL on grass had in the end to tell people when they moved on to the CL that draining down and dropping the hot water tank wanot allowed, 

Posted on 19/01/2017 08:47

I drain down on pitch but never damage the grass. Before moving I turn off heating and empty the aquaroll by running the hot tap. I usually leave the sink plug in to get a good head of hot water which then helps to flush the waste pipes as it gushes into wastemaster. I repeat until aquaroll is empty and by then the hot water tank is full of cold before draining.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook