An appeal to Safefill users - and others!

Merve replied on 14/08/2018 20:08

Posted on 14/08/2018 20:08

I do not wish this thread to deteriorate into a debate about Safefill Cylinders and the whys and wherefores of various other makes. This is not a promotion of any product.  So please, if you are not a Safefill User, (unless you wish to assist your fellow campers, Motorhomers and caravanners which would be very welcome!) do not comment. This thread is about the effort by the ‘Leisure public’ who use Safefill cylinders to increase the chances of more fill points which can only be a positive move. Morrisons moved to facilitate Safefill after I suggested we all write to them and ask about filling a perfectly legal cylinder. People power does work and it can be a powerful force when applied. Can anyone who uses, or is about to purchase a Safefill, or would like to see fill points open up nearer to them or just simply wants to help their fellow caravanners-  please take 5 minutes to email the following Service Station Groups about filling Safefill cylinders now that the Red Guide has been amended to encompass them and Morrisons have allowed their filling.  You will get the details from the web.  I have only chosen 2 at the moment- more will follow. If we do this as a group, we can change minds as we did with Morrisons. The first is Penny Petroleum which is based in the north of England and has 42 sites I believe. They are on Twitter so that’s another way of contacting them and applying gentle pressure! The second and much larger concern is Euro Garages Group. Please help. Safefill are too small to get out there and visit everyone but they are doing their best I can assure you. Can you please post when you have sent your communication and  any results you receive to the thread Thank you so much . We need those fill points! 

Cornersteady replied on 16/08/2018 13:16

Posted on 16/08/2018 11:07 by IanTG

No axe to grind as we use very little gas, apart from barbecuing via cadac. But surely one cannot compute the profitability or otherwise of a garage stocking LPG based on that single product alone.

all retail outlets of all kinds use the availability or pricing of product A to encourage customers to visit, and thus potentially buy products B & C as well. That’s why many retailers, including garages, sell newspapers. The shelf space needed could not be justified on sales/profitability value alone, but the knock-on sales are potentially substantial. ..... including coffee or pastries as suggested! Let alone petrol.

The availability of LPG, and the opportunity to refill Safefill or alternatives, would surely work similarly to attract new customers and increase the spend per visit. 

Why not support the greater availability of any product or service that in turn supports the leisure industry of which we are all part? What’s to lose?

Posted on 16/08/2018 13:16

except buying and selling coffee, papers other stuff is quite cheap, safe, and easy to do, an trained person can put them there and collect the money.

Adding a LPG pump is far more difficult and costly and the returns may not justify the costs involved, perhaps £5 per week? Why install safefill (and other products are available - I can't understand why Merve keeps pushing safefill) at a great cost when coffee makes money money and could indeed be said to support the leisure industry more?

Any strangely enough I never go to a petrol station to buy papers or coffee alone, it's mainly and most times only for the petrol, 

Pippah45 replied on 16/08/2018 13:20

Posted on 16/08/2018 13:20

We are interested in getting more places to refill our refillables whatever make they are - is that so hard to understand?  Calor is a total rip off - so why spend our hard earned cash on them? 

replied on 16/08/2018 13:23

Posted on 16/08/2018 12:48 by Merve

Not interested DD. You are mischief making. We are talking about getting more fill points for Safefill. Thanks. 

Posted on 16/08/2018 13:23

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Tinwheeler replied on 16/08/2018 15:47

Posted on 16/08/2018 13:20 by Pippah45

We are interested in getting more places to refill our refillables whatever make they are - is that so hard to understand?  Calor is a total rip off - so why spend our hard earned cash on them? 

Posted on 16/08/2018 15:47

Total rip off? They exchange the bottle with no hassle for £20-ish once every 2-3 years. To me that’s simple and cost effective. What’s more, I can do it on site without the performance of getting to a garage only to be told they won’t allow me to do what I want. What price the simple life?

Boff replied on 16/08/2018 16:17

Posted on 16/08/2018 16:17

Changing a bottle every 2-3 years, you would have to be nuts to consider a refillable bottle.   I can get through the equivalent of 6kg every 2-3 weeks.  So a refillable bottle makes a lot of sense to me.

So I have two questions.   Why are there several posters on this thread, who assume that their reality is my reality?

second question, why are these same posters even participating in this thread, when it is not relevant to them and they contribute nothing? 

Tinwheeler replied on 16/08/2018 16:22

Posted on 16/08/2018 16:22

I’m glad you agree, Boff, that Calor isn't a TOTAL rip off. I'm glad I’ve been able to introduce an element of balance.

Cornersteady replied on 16/08/2018 16:38

Posted on 16/08/2018 16:17 by Boff

Changing a bottle every 2-3 years, you would have to be nuts to consider a refillable bottle.   I can get through the equivalent of 6kg every 2-3 weeks.  So a refillable bottle makes a lot of sense to me.

So I have two questions.   Why are there several posters on this thread, who assume that their reality is my reality?

second question, why are these same posters even participating in this thread, when it is not relevant to them and they contribute nothing? 

Posted on 16/08/2018 16:38

Well a swift answer is that what is not relevant to you maybe relevant to someone else and with all respect you are not the arbiter of what is and what isn't relevant and who post's and who does not. Once a post has been made anyone can answer it and expect the respect as described by the T&C.

By the replies given I've found there are other refills available which was at all not clear for whatever reason and still not clarified, and that it is not worth having these in certain conditions.

Pippah45 replied on 16/08/2018 18:14

Posted on 16/08/2018 18:14

There have been plenty of threads discussing refillables in the past as there have been with various makes of Caravans and BBQs - do feel free to bring on a new thread discussing whatever you want to discuss.  I have found Calor to be a rip off as I heat my house with LPG and I had an offer to refill my huge tank at some 54p a litre - on my refusal they reduced their offer to 22p a litre - they clearly get away with charging 54p to people who don't question it.  And of course they are not the only company behaving like that.  I think the sort of information we get from threads like this and many others is extremely useful. 

JVB66 replied on 16/08/2018 18:35

Posted on 16/08/2018 18:14 by Pippah45

There have been plenty of threads discussing refillables in the past as there have been with various makes of Caravans and BBQs - do feel free to bring on a new thread discussing whatever you want to discuss.  I have found Calor to be a rip off as I heat my house with LPG and I had an offer to refill my huge tank at some 54p a litre - on my refusal they reduced their offer to 22p a litre - they clearly get away with charging 54p to people who don't question it.  And of course they are not the only company behaving like that.  I think the sort of information we get from threads like this and many others is extremely useful. 

Posted on 16/08/2018 18:35

And also English Heritage ,senior renewal for 2018/19 £74 on phoning to cancel subscription, was advised could have 12 months for price of 9 months = £55,as quoted many times "it pays to talk" in nearly all circumstancessmile

Tinwheeler replied on 16/08/2018 18:40

Posted on 16/08/2018 18:40

There may be times when you find it a rip off, Pippah, but my point was that there are times when it is not and, therefore, to call it a total rip off is inaccurate.

The information is indeed useful as we have all now seen that different brands are available and that there are times when to use the exchangeable cylinders is more sensible. It helps us choose what is best for ourselves.

I heat my house with LPG as well (not Calor) but it’s not by cylinders, refillable or otherwise, so I saw no point in making any comparison here.

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook