Cheapest time to buy car insurance

Oneputt replied on 11/12/2019 08:20

Posted on 11/12/2019 08:20

Just lifted this from Money Saving Experts newsletter:

Warning. Don't wait till the last min to buy car insurance. The PERFECT time is 20 to 26 days ahead, cutting typical costs by 40% 

For years we've been refining our system on how to get the cheapest car insurance. In summer 2018, after analysing more than 18m car insurance quotes, we told you the perfect time to get it was 21 days before renewal.

Now we've redone the analysis, with over 50m quotes (courtesy of Compare The Market, Confused.com and MoneySupermarket) and we now think you've a six-day sweet spot, from 26 to 20 days before renewal, where you'll find the cheapest price - after that, prices rise steadily.

This isn't about the price from your existing insurer - that's your renewal quote (and is generally expensive and should be avoided). This is about getting quotes as a new customer. A policy that costs an avg £1,218/yr on renewal day would be just £672/yr 24 days ahead - statistically the cheapest day. That's £546 less.

Oneputt replied on 11/12/2019 15:01

Posted on 11/12/2019 15:01

Personally my own insurance has never been as expensive as quoted above but there are still substantial savings to be made

Wherenext replied on 11/12/2019 19:29

Posted on 11/12/2019 19:29

I've not found any conclusive evidence that any specific time is best for finding a cheaper quote. Sometimes a cheap quote 3 weeks before renewal can disappear within a week, particularly if the timescale spans the next month. Similarly leaving it later can see new deals enter.

I just decide what I'm willing to pay and make sure it's with a company that I can expect to be able to trust.

Was there 2 threads, Nellie? This system is all over the place.

nelliethehooker replied on 11/12/2019 20:02

Posted on 11/12/2019 20:02

Yes WN, there were. OP & I posted about the me with slightly different titles but the subject came from the same source. The data was supplied by Money Saving Expert, and the finding of LV with regards to those with the highest risk leaving it till the last minute to apply for insurance.

richardandros replied on 12/12/2019 08:15

Posted on 12/12/2019 08:15

I also noticed this in the Money Expert email which I subscribe to.

Personally. I will be staying with NFU - who don't participate in any comparison sites - regardless of what it costs me - and I'm doing so, simply because of their reputation for settling claims - and I can talk to someone in their local office, if necessary. I got caught out by switching to a well-known provider a few years ago - had to claim - and got nothing but aggravation throughout the process because I insisted on using the only VW approved repairer in our area ((on a new car still under warranty), rather than theirs.

I might have saved £100 or so - but it certainly caused me more than a £100 worth of grief went it came to the crunch (literally).

It's the same reason why I have just renewed my caravan cover with this Club - as I have posted elsewhere.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook